Saturday, March 26, 2011

Peach Cakes (or otherwise known as Jelly Lamingtons)

My Nanna used to make these for us all the time when we were young. Based on the Aussie icon, the lamington, it's just basically a vanilla cake or sponge, traditionally cooked in a gem iron.

Gem iron
 When cakes are cooked, they are split and rolled in unset raspberry jelly and rolled in coconut and filled with fresh cream. I've got both gem irons and these kind of cake pans (below) and decided to use them instead.


I used my favourite cake recipe, the "No Fuss Fudge Cake" only because it's so quick and easy but you could use leftover cake of any kind, a packet cake mix, a sponge cake recipe or any other vanilla (or chocolate if you like) cake recipe.

Once cakes are cooked and cooled, roll in unset jelly and coconut.

Fill with fresh cream and store in refrigerator.

Peach Cakes

Use your favourite vanilla cake recipe OR packet cake mix OR leftover cake cut into rounds, squares, whatever

1 pkt raspberry jelly (make up as per directions and refrigerate until nearly set)
desiccated coconut for rolling
fresh cream, whipped to a stiff consistency

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of these! Interesting! Do you happen to know if those types of pans are still something you can buy? or is it one to keep an eye out for as a vintage relic? I love the look of the gem iron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and ... I'm wondering if this is a lovely new background on you blog or if I was so dazzled by content I haven't noticed it before : ) Its so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tammy! I'm not sure I've seen them new in the shops but plenty in the op shops. Here's a ittle snippet from the Internet about gem 'scones' or cakes.

    http://hubpages.com/hub/Baking-in-a-Gem-Scone-Iron

    The more people I talk to, it seems to be a Qld thing that they are called "Peaches" but otherwise known as "Jelly Cakes" in other parts of the country.

    (Thanks for the comment on the blog design. I thought it was time for a change. I've got nothing else better to do with my time! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh,my,Gosh!I am loving the soo tempting way your Peach Cakes look and I bet taste! The receipt is going to be my next surprise for my family and I am sure they are gonna love it!! Thanks so much for sharing it:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...