Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Listography - Top 5 Albums by Band

Kate from over at Kate Takes 5 has done it again with a fabulous list of "Top 5 Albums by Band". Now, if we're talking albums and not CD's, I have quite a collection. In the midst of my decluttering frenzies over the years, I've wanted to part with my records but just can't. They're such works of art. Besides the record inside, the album cover is (or was) quite a work of art. It's going to be hard to list only 5, but these are my favourites for musical content AND record cover.

1.  "Sticky Fingers" - Rolling Stones, 1971



There's something about this cover that leaves me quite breathless, for obvious reasons. Besides that, it also has two of my favourite Rolling Stones songs, "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses". Although I didn't get it in 1971 (I was only 7 then), I did get it in my late teens. The photo was conceived by Andy Warhol. According to Wikipedia, "the TV network VH1 named Sticky Fingers the 'No. 1 Greatest Album Cover' of all time".

2.  Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV, 1971



This has to be one of my all time favourite albums, ever. It has nearly all of the 'classic' Led Zepplin hits like "Stairway to Heaven", "Black Dog", "Rock and Roll" (my favourite), "Misty Mountain Hop" and "When the Levee Breaks". I can remember it was the first Led Zepplin album I bought, also in my late teens and remains my favourite. Wikipedia says it is "one of the best selling albums in history". I reckon this album is scratched to the 'shit house' but the CD still gets a good work out.

3.  Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III, 1970



Another one of my all time favourites, this cover has a cardboard disc inside which spins around exposing different pictures through holes in the cover. It also contains more of my all time favourite Zeppelin songs like "Immigrant Song", "Gallows Pole", "Tangerine" and "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp". Another one bought in my late teens and has withstood the test of time and lasted many a party (well maybe). Thank goodness for CD's.

4.  "Rumours" - Fleetwood Mac, 1976



There's no denying, I wanted to be Stevie Nicks in my high school years (and later). I wished my name was Rhiannon and thought I sang like "a white winged dove". NOT! But I love it just the same. I'm a huge Stevie Nicks fan but I think "Rumours" is one of those albums that just had so many hits which are all classics now and really put Fleetwood Mac on the map. Reminds me so much of my high school years.

5. "Bat Out of Hell" - Meatloaf, 1977



I don't know too many people who don't have this record in their collection. It's one of those timeless classics that got played loud in the car when we were heading to the beach, got 'pumped up' for parties and now, when I'm doing the housework. Who could forget "Bat Out of Hell", "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" or "All Revved Up With No Place to Go"? Even better is the making of the album on a show called "Classic Albums". It goes into the stories behind each song. Love it! (Not sure "Meatloaf" is eligible as a band? But he did have a studio band.)

It was so hard to keep it at 5. I must re-visit Kate's "Now That's What I Call Music" because I think I'd have a few 'not so classic' albums to add to that collection!

5 comments:

  1. Ooh we share one! I must say your list is so much cooler than mine though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fleetwood Mac, another forgotten one bt me! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahahaha another closet hairy biker ;) cool list

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew Meatloaf was the housewife's favourite huh? Fleetwood Mac - brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Fleetwood Mac. Love them. In fact, it may well be on my Listography... When I finally get round to writing it... x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.