Saturday, May 28, 2011

Tutti a tavola a mangiare!




Which means "everyone to the table to eat", or, as we say at our house "hurry up and get to the table and don't talk back" (usually said about 5 times before the kids actually get to the table).



I've been a big fan of Lidia Bastianich, an Italian/American TV chef, and her cooking show "Lidia's Table" for such a long time. I think I might've been an Italian in a previous life. I married one (by name only really) so I'm kinda half way there. I love all things Italian and most of all cooking and eating Italian food. Lidia always starts and finishes her show with "tutti a tavola a mangiare" and it has such a lovely ring to it. Not like the ringing in my ears from the screaming and fighting that usually accompanies any meal at my place.

I love the way 'real' Italian cooks prepare 'peasant' food or food that is seasonal, home grown, nothing wasted and simple flavours. It really is a cheap, wholesome, healthy way to eat.

Some books to check out at your local library, that I've found really great, are:

"The Silver Spoon"

"Jamie's Italy"

"The Food of Italy - A Journey for Food Lovers"

"Cooking with Italian Grandmothers"

There are many more but these are a good start. When you think of the basics to a good Italian meal, most items are found in your pantry. Eggs and flour for pasta, fresh or canned tomatoes plus a few herbs for a basic tomato sauce and some cheese to top and you've got a beautiful meal. Most meat dishes are made with the cheapest cuts of meat. My favourite Italian pasta dish (one of many) is Spaghetti Aglio e Olio, which is basically pasta, olive oil and garlic. Bellissimo!

I wonder if Lidia's kids were a problem for her when they were young?

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog! I just became a follower! :) Erin

    www.healthybranscoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only they had an app. that mowed my lawn and trimmed the hedges.

    BTW we ate your recipe for beef satay and coconut rice tonight-magnificent! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and...did I tell you that after I read your blog post yesterday that I had ice cream-like immediately.

    Well, I did, chocolate and raspberry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...