Friday, May 27, 2011

Zuppa di Fagioli Rossi (Red Bean Soup)


I love my slow cooker and I love the cooler months so I can get the full use out of it. Besides being a great time saving appliance (put everything in in the morning and dinner's done by night time), it's a great way to slow cook things like joints of meat, stews, casseroles and soups.

I love a good soup and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Italian food. If I could eat Italian food three times a day, I would (well, I try to). Instead of calling this soup a "Red Kidney Bean Soup", I'd rather put an Italian name to it and add the Italian flavour.

Zuppa di Fagioli Rossi (Red Bean Soup)

1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Italian diced tomatoes
3 cups stock (I used chicken)
1 tbs tomato paste
2 onions, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced (I always use sweet potato in my stews and soups as a natural thickener)
2 cups cabbage, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 tbs dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
salt & pepper

Combine all ingredients. Slow cook on slow for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. (Alternatively, simmer on stove top until carrots are tender, approx 20 mins.)

Serve with grilled ciabatta or sour dough bread, grated parmesan and a spoonful of olive tapenade or pesto, if you have it. To finish, drizzle with a little olive oil.

Linking up with Rhonda from Down to Earth - On My Mind.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds so very delish! no one else in my house would eat it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe looks wonderful! I will have to print it off and give it atry this Fall as it;s too hot here right now - Middle to High 90"s all this week and it's ONLY May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum yum!

    I am so going to dust off the slow cooker and make this. I can smell it from here.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum I am gonna make that! Lots of veggies for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup looks delicious!!! I'm definitely going to make that. I love all types of soup but especially bean soups - thanks for the great recipe!!!
    ~Star
    Star Hughes Living

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh another soup for the slow cooker - love my slow cooker :) sounds and looks yummy just right for the cold months ahead over here in the UK
    (popped over via the recipe shed)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just commented on Mummy Mishaps slow cooker soup and up pops another! Quite a coincidence, seeing as I've never thought of cooking soup in the slow cooker before. Love the beans in this recipe. Next week's Recipe Shed theme might be a challenge: FLAVOURS OF THE SEA. I'm sure you've got some great fish and seafood down there.
    Keith (RHD)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My computer didn't seem to let me comment! Hopefully this will work- I think I need to invest in a slow cooker after seeing your and Mummy Mishaps' posts today- your soup recipe looks delicious, and healthy as well, I have never made bean soup, so I will try it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...