Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cost of running slow cooker vs oven


I love my slow cooker and it gets a good work out in winter. I've been trying to convince my Mother (who lives with my sister) to get one as it'll be good for them to get something warm and nutritious on in the morning, ready for them in the evening. (My sister works and has such a hectic social life and Mum is getting a bit old.) Mum heard that the slow cooker uses a lot of electricity so I decided to check it out for myself.

According to my electricity provider, Ergon Energy, the online Appliance Calculator states that it costs 3 cents per hour to run a slow cooker compared to 46 cents per hour for a conventional oven/hot plates. This is a handy calculator if you want to check out what some of your appliances are costing you to run. Your own energy provider might have something similar on their web site.

This note on the web site states:

"Other factors such as the make and model of the appliance, your individual usage habits and even the weather are variables that will impact on the final cost. The following running costs are indicative only and based on Tariff 11, where operation of your appliance allows for it to be placed on Tariff 33 or Tariff 31, a further saving can be made. The cost shown is based on usage only and does not include any monthly service fee."

I think the slow cooker will be the way for me for some time yet although on a really cold day, I'll use the oven to cook dinner (and to warm the house) but get the most out of it with getting on a batch of muffins, cookies and a cake or dessert.

6 comments:

  1. Ohh really?! I love that you researched this. This is great to know. My crock pot has been getting lots of use so it's nice to know that not only am I making healthy dinners but I am also being energy efficient! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so helpful to know! I love using my crockpot - now I love it even more since it's cheaper than the oven! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How useful this info. is! Clever, Anne.
    Another plus, it doesn't heat the house up as much. I guess this tip depends on the time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE my slow cooker! Found a chip on the rim of the ceramic insert this morning, looks like it's going to crack....
    Thank goodness for all the sales on at the moment. Got m eye of a BIG one. Lol
    x Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's interesting. Might have to use mine a bit more. Liking the red lentils idea too

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my slow cooker too and wouldn't be without it.

    In addition to being energy saving you can also use slightly cheaper cuts of meat. After a few hours in that baby you (well, I) can't tell the difference between fillet and braising steak :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.