Wednesday, June 22, 2011

DIY Chicken Cook in a Bag

[photo source]
It never ceases to amaze me at the ready made, packet mix, bottled sauces, 'cook in a bag/jar/packet/whatever' that's available at the supermarket. Sure, people are busy but do they want to eat stuff that doesn't taste nice just because they don't have enough time? I refuse to buy any of that 'ready made' stuff out of principle. I always claim to never have enough time (even though I probably do but prefer to be looking at the Internet or watching TV) but I'll never sacrifice taste over convenience.


I had chicken legs defrosted for tonight and wanted to recreate one of the 'cook in a bag' packets I saw at the 'stupidmarket' today. It was a Lemon & Herb one and I thought "how easy is that?". Everyone loved them.


Lemon & Herb Roasted Chicken Legs

chicken legs
1 tbs lemon rind, finely grated
1 tbs dried oregano
1 tbs dried thyme
1 tbs chicken stock powder
salt & pepper

Place all ingredients in a plastic bag and shake to coat seasoning over chicken legs. Remove from plastic bag and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 45 mins in a 180 deg C oven, turning once during cooking process. (Alternatively, you could go to the added expense and buy oven bags to firstly, coat your chicken legs and secondly, bake them inside the bag. I personally like my chicken skin crispy. If you don't eat the skin, bake with it on and remove before eating. It helps keep the chicken moist.)


It beats any packet mix and it took a little amount of time to grate the lemon rind and grab the spice bottles from the cupboard. I served the chicken with roasted cubed potates and sweet potato and steamed green beans.

Some other flavours I'm going to try:

Spicy:
chilli powder to taste
1 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs sweet paprika
1 tbs ground coriander
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs dried oregano
1 tbs chicken stock powder
finely grated of 1 lime
salt & pepper

Asian:
1 tbs ground ginger
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2-3 cloves, ground
1 tbs chicken stock powder
chilli powder to taste
salt & pepper

You're only limited by your imagination. Best bet is when you visit the supermarket and you have the time to have a good look around, look at the flavour combinations of some of these ready made meals and try to replicate them at home. You'll save yourself a lot of money and enjoy the flavour a whole lot more. I also think these spice rubs would work well on whole chickens and other cuts of meat.

6 comments:

  1. Oh...YUUUMMM!! Should've been at your house! That looks so good! I agree with you on package food. I'm making this next week. thanks for the great idea to immitate "prepared foods"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cooked season chicken drumsticks for a family BBQ last weekend. Zesting the lemons was the most complicated part of the process. It took hardly any time at all to prepare 2kg of drumsticks then I simply put them in the oven as the other meat went out to the BBQ. Too easy.

    I do enjoy some convenience meals, but I do wonder at some of the products that are available. They really don't save that much time or money.

    I'm going to try out some of your chicken seasoning ideas. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm this looks SO good! Definitly something my husband would be happy about if I made :) Great food picture too! I always end up taking like 20 pictures of the same thing and maybe one will turn out good..Photographing food is hard lol! I cant imagine taking pics of actual moving objects like kids ha!

    Wanted to tell you THANK YOU for always leaving such sweet genuine comments on my blog..you are just the best and I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. indeed, there is no reason to resort to packaged convenience foods, when it's so much cheaper and just as easy to do it yourself at home (: here's another idea: use indian curry spices!

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/02/curried-roast-chicken-leg-with-spiced.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne your season and flavor choices look really good. I will have to try them out. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday, I look forward to seeing you again soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's too funn! I have never the chicken cook in a bag prepared food mix thing ever! Wow, some people are crazy what they will buy! Love your recipe and your ability to make sure to take the time to make your food!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.