Friday, June 24, 2011

Lemon Buttercream NFFC Cupcakes


If you're wondering what the "NFFC" stands for, it stands for No Fuss Fudge Cake, which I blogged about early this year. To me, it's the easiest, most versatile, adjustable, nicest tasting cake recipe I've ever come across. I got the recipe from a forum I belonged to a while ago and I have made it into so many different combinations. I've made cupcakes, muffins, bar cakes, ring cakes, sheet cake and even a Swiss Roll once. You can chop and change ingredients to make it into just about anything. In my original post, I had made it into a Black Forest Cherry Cake.

I was actually challenged by a girlfriend of mine, after I mentioned to her that I was craving a Lemon Meringue Cupcake. She suggested the good old NFFC and she'd know as she's made just as many, if not more, different combinations than I have. I thought about the lemon meringue and remembered my husband doesn't like it and I don't think the kids would eat the lemon butter. I also am on the last of my apples that I got from the farmer a few months back. I made up some Spicy Apple & Walnut Muffins the other day and they turned out lovely and moist from the use of the apple puree so I decided to use apple puree again in the NFFC in place of the oil that's in the cake.



Here's the original recipe with my adjustments.

No Fuss Fudge Cake

1 and half cups plain flour
3 tablespoons cocoa (omitted)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla (replaced with 1 tsp lemon essence)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
6 tablespoons oil (6 tbs apple puree/sauce) 
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
half teaspoon salt
zest of 1 lemon
 
Lemon Buttercream:
2 cups icing sugar
100gm butter, softened
juice of 1 lemon
 
For cake, heat oven to 180 deg C. Mix all ingredients together well and bake for approx 15-20 mins. For buttercream, mix ingredients together and spread or pipe on cakes.
 
Don't get me wrong. I love traditional cake recipes, creaming butter and sugar together etc etc but when you're time poor (as I always claim to be), this is such an unforgiving, quick, great recipe.


 
I'm linking up with Rhonda from over at Down to Earth today for her regular Friday feature, "On My Mind". These cupcakes are on my mind today and I have enjoyed one for morning tea and lunch. Only made 12 so I've got to get in quick while I can!

10 comments:

  1. Wow they look delish, definitely on the to try list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good!! Anything with fudge or buttercream in it sounds amazing to me! Can't wait to try it!
    Star Hughes Living

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAy to go on the fabulous pictures again Anne!! These look so pretty and are making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these look delicious and easy. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some delicious looking cupcakes. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier - I'm fine just exhausted from an 8+ hour day at work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm yum, I'll be making these as soon as I have the lemon essence. Love the decorative way you've iced them :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. This are absolutely precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH goodness me. I am in love....I love cupcakes...I am going to love makig this..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Those cupcakes sound absolutely delicious! I like the way that you iced them :) I'm your newest follower and each Wedesnday I host a recipe spotlight where you can come and show off your best recipes. I'd love for you to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did it come out with the apple puree? I am on one week of 'no sweets". I'm on day 3. I think I am going to make date walnut slice when I am done or saffron ice cream. Haven't decided yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.