Monday, June 20, 2011

Nanna's Walnut & Date Slice


This is another one of my favourites from my Nanna's handwritten recipe book she gave me. It brings back so many lovely memories of morning and afternoon teas at her place. There was also another reason why I baked this today. I'm entering myself into a cooking competition, hosted by the Danish butter company "Lurpak". You have to cook a recipe and upload the photo onto their website for a chance to go into a draw for $1,500. I've never really won anything and I do love to bake. I thought there's no harm in trying. If you'd like to vote me, you can do so by clicking here. I think you're only able to vote once per day. The competition closes on the 17th of July so you have until then to vote. I appreciate it so much if you have.


I love the fact that this recipe is so badly stained. I wonder how many times Nanna referred to it over the years? It make me feel like I'm capturing a moment of time in her life when I look it, like I was there when she was busily making it. Best thing about this recipe is that it's just a quick mix recipe and baked in 20 minutes and you're done. It's so tasty too.

Nanna's Walnut & Date Slice

1.1/4 cups Self Raising flour
2/3 cups sugar
3/4 cups chopped dates
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
125gm butter, melted
1 egg

Combine all ingredients and press into a slice tin (28x18cm approx) and bake in a 180 deg C oven (or 160 deg C oven if fan forced) for approx 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares when cool.


Thanks Nanna for another lovely recipe! In your honour, I set the table up outside with one of your lovely tableclothes, your bone china tea cup, saucer and plate and enjoyed a piece of the slice and a cuppa in the sunshine (as well as trying to take a half decent photo for the competition - I feel so stupid 'staging' photos sometimes).

8 comments:

  1. Voted! Good luck, Anne. It does look delicious. I love the copy of that recipe. I would have voted for you on that alone! But the slice looks divine too of course. Gill xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO special that she gave this to you! There is nothing better then yummy passed down recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum Anne! The slice looks delicious and I love love love your Nanna's recipe book and that you have her beautiful china and table cloth to make eating the slice special.

    You have so inspired me to get baking! Thank you.

    Will go and vote now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photos are great. You shouldn't feel stupid staging photos. Perhaps you should refer to it as "styling" your photos. That yummy looking slice deserves a nice shot! All part of the fun anyways.
    My Mum and Nanna had recipe books like that. Mum did a cooking course in Brisbane when she was a teenager, I think they called it domestic science. Good luck with the competition, you'll get my vote.
    x Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That loks yummy.
    New google follower via Tuesday hop, Karima from
    www.karimascrafts.com
    and
    www.karimasblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love old family recipes like this, they are so precious. It looks like a great recipe! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday, I look forward to seeing you again soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks absolutely yummy...I'm like you, I love old time-worn recipes!! now to figure out how to vote for you...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried this out the other day - although I did make a few changes. Substituted half the butter for applesauce and half the white sugar for brown. Turned out quite delicious, thank you for posting! :)
    Next time I might try adding some spices!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...