Wednesday, June 22, 2011

WOW Write on Wednesdays - I remember...


I remember what I did about 5 minutes ago but I really struggle with what I did maybe an hour or 4 hours ago. It seems my memory is failing me in my aging years. Ask me what my Centrelink number is or my tax file number and I'll be able to rattle it off no problem. I was always the one that won at Trivial Pursuit a few years back (before kids that is) or knew the name of the actor or character in an old TV show or movie. But not now. Maybe I killed off too many brain cells in my younger years.

My earliest memory goes back to when I was about 4 years old. It was when my second sister was born and it must've been a very traumatic experience for me.  She's still causing me grief 43 years later! (Not really sis!) I also remember getting my tonsils out about this time, when tonsils were still removed if they were infected and being allowed to eat a whole lot of ice cream. Memories of my childhood are mostly all good. The most vivid memory is playing. I was always playing with my two sisters, kids in the street and eventually team sports. I loved long hot summer days, ice blocks bought from the old couple who came around in their old car ringing a bell and buying a Redskin Split only to have it stick to your tongue and having to run to the laundry tap to try to remove it.

Most of my other memories are all food related. Sunday visits to people we called 'aunty' who weren't related, having to sit still and only speak when we were spoken to. Having cups of tea that burnt our tongues and beautiful cakes and biscuits. Lots of lovely big family gatherings too with lashings of homemade everything.

Now, what was it I was trying to remember? Oh that's it. What to write about for this week's "Write on Wednesday" exercise, I think?

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 3 - I remember: Write "I remember" a the top of your page. Set a timer for 5 minutes. Use "I remember" as your prompt and write down the first words that come into your head for 5 minutes. Stop when the buzzer rings!

Thanks Gill for another great exercise. Head on over to inkpaperpen blog and check out the other submissions.

8 comments:

  1. Lots of my memories are food related too Anne.

    Ice lolly stuck to the tongu ... I remember THAT one.

    Even worse if it stuck to your lip and you didn't realise util you had taken a layer of skin off, ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the part about visiting aunties, who aren't really aunties, and tea that burnt your tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I agree that we can all relate to the aunties who are not aunties! And this is the second post for Write On Wednesday that mentions the redskins lollies! Glad to have you back this week Anne and of course I am also glad you are feeling better. Gill xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny how food memories stick with us, isn't it? I have lots from my childhood as well - making toffee with a friend, ice-blocks and lollies from the corner shop, fish and chips, mum's spagetti bolognaise, homemade cakes and biscuits. The list goes on.

    oh, I had lots of aunties that weren't really aunties too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Redskin splits as a child. I find it amazing how a lot of these posts relate to food. I also remember playing, endless playing with my two sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't touch hot chocolate well into my adulthood because of it always burning my tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many of my memories are food related too! I can remember where I was, what I was talking about, and who I was with depending on the meal! I'm a foodie :)
    Star Hughes Living

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, remember when kids used to play in the street? You never see that any more. Well at least not around where I live. I think everyone's too paranoid these days. Now if I see kids riding around in the street in front of my house, I immediately assume they're trying to steal my letterbox or something.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.