Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Easy Pad Thai at home


"Pad Thai" or Thai stir fried meat, vegetables and rice noodles is such a tasty, easy dish to make at home. Before we had the kids, and we both worked, we'd often get Thai takeaway, but these days, it's just too expensive. Rice noodles are readily available in the Asian section of your supermarket and relatively inexpensive and a jar of Thai curry paste is only a couple of dollars. You only need a small amount and it lasts forever in the fridge.

This recipe is in no way authentic and I apologise to any Thai recipe purists for my version but it satisfies my Thai cravings and is inexpensive and quick to make.

Note: I had a little too much liquid in my serve but I still lapped it up.
Easy Pad Thai (Thai rice noodles with chicken and vegetables)

1 chicken breast fillet, diced
1 large onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbs oil for frying (I used olive oil)
1 tbs Thai curry paste (use more if you prefer it spicier)
1 can coconut milk
1 cup chicken stock
2 cups vegetables, chopped (I used carrot, celery, mushrooms. Use whatever you have on hand.)
1/2 packet rice noodles (or 'sticks' as they're otherwise known)
1 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs lime (or lemon) juice
fresh coriander to garnish
deep fried shallots to garnish (also available in Asian section of the supermarket)

  1. Pan fry onion until clear, add curry paste and fry for 1 minute. Add chicken breast and fry until coated in spice paste and starting to cook.
  2. Add coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar and lime juice.
  3. Add chopped vegetables.
  4. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for approx 15 mins.
  5. Add uncooked rice noodles to the pot and push down. They will soften in the pot and absorb most of the liquid.
  6. Sprinkle with coriander and fried shallots to serve.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, this is our favourite..nice one!
    Like it hot baby...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having Thai for dinner at our favorite place (date nite, so excited!). I definitely need to learn to re-create this at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pad thai is jusot my absolute favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that would definitely satisfy my Thai cravings too! It looks delicious Anne! You are such a chef! I am loving all these recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe...we really like pad thai and better still to make it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yumyumyum. I will definitely be having a go at making this! GF too!
    x Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. totally bookmarking this!! My kind of meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks so yummy! I'll have to try this

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am on a Thai kick lately. I can't wait to try this. I'm going to the store to get the stuff today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne, what a great Thai dish so full of flavor. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week. Have a great week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Pad Thai! I've never made it at home before, I'll have to try your easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to try this. Putting some of these ingredients on my grocery list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.