Sunday nights are usually easy dinner nights and tonight was no exception. A Ceasar Salad sandwich followed by Sticky Date Pudding with Caramel Sauce. I can't even remember if I've ever made a Sticky Date Pudding. Plenty of cakes and muffins with dates but not ever a pudding. The Sticky Date made a huge comeback there a couple years ago, appearing on menus everywhere but it wasn't something that I usually went for. This recipe is from my Country Women's Association (CWA) Cookbook "Country Classics" and it's as easy as to throw together at the last minute.
Easy Sticky Date Pudding with Caramel Sauce
1 cup chopped dates
1.1/4 cups water
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup soft brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C and grease an ovenproof pan or dish.
- Cook dates in water, until combined.
- Beat in remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 25 mins or until cooked.
- For sauce, combine all ingredients in a saucepan and boil for 5 minutes.