Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I won't be a pageant Mum, I promise!

For a bit of school holiday fun, I decided to enter my 6 year old daughter into a "Search for a Model" type quest held at one of our local shopping centres yesterday (with her approval of course). The entry fee of $10 went towards a children's cancer fund so it was a worthwhile cause. (I also think it was a way for the modelling agency to drum up some new business.)

I entered her into a baby contest when she was 3 months old and she came second overall and won the 'best smile' category. Also, when my son was 3 months old I did the same but didn't enter her. When we were there, the judges said we should enter her and she finished up winning. No fancy hair dos, makeup or glizty costumes. Just being herself.

So we went yesterday and we both didn't know what to expect. She was entered into the 5 to 11 year old category and before we knew she was lining up. I didn't prepare her in any way because I didn't really know what they were going to do. There was a catwalk so I guess she'd be walking on it. She is super, super shy and I thought no way would she do it. Up she got, hand on hip and sashayed down the catwalk like a pro. I was so proud. She looked so cute. Little didn't I know she'd be one of the 12 contestants (out of about 40 boys and girls) to come back for the semi final today.

We were told to come dressed as a 'blank canvas' so no make up, plain clothes and no fancy hair dos. (Not that she did yesterday.) I was so proud of her but there was something inside me, like a little bit of the 'green-eyed' monster, looking at the girls that won, thinking that could've been my daughter. I had to take a leaf out of her book and take on some of her advice. She said "I'm okay that I didn't win a prize Mummy. I had heaps of fun and it was all for a good cause." What better lesson than that is there for a 6 year old to teach her Mum?

The semi finalists go on to a Grand Final dinner dance, fashion parade event to be held in September at a large hotel in the city. I give her credit for what she did today and yesterday but I don't think she would've been brave enough for that. She'll always still be my beautiful little girl and will try to keep her that way for as long as I can.

4 comments:

  1. Your daughter sounds adorable!! I think every parent would have had a touch of the green eyed monster - your own child is of course the cutest, smartest, strongest ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, clearly those judges just had spots on their glasses or something. If she had fun, that IS all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw that is a great lesson for your little girl! Sounds like it was definitely worth it if you ask me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special daughter you have there Anne.

    Bit sad though cause you could have given those mums from Toddlers and Tiara's a run for their money with your style, intelligence and attitude!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.