Saturday, July 9, 2011

I'm grateful for...learning from my kids

[photo source]
School holidays are over in Queensland and this week, in particular, I've let the house go and paid more attention to the kids and observed them more. I learn so much from them. I've loved watching them grow, watching them learn. Learning little things like how to smile as a baby, how to eat, how to crawl, walk, run etc. The last couple of years, they've been learning how to dress themselves, hold a fork, crossing the road, good manners etc.

Now, I'm experiencing them learn more about life. It's one tough road and if I can pass on my experiences and teach them what to expect, I hope it might make their journey a little easier. This week, I learnt from them.
  • Although she made it to the semi finals, competing in her first (and probably last) modelling competition as a fundraiser for kids with cancer, my 6 year old daughter said "Mummy, I'm okay that I didn't win a prize - I had heaps of fun and I'm glad I was able to do it for the kids who have cancer."
  • After watching "Barbie & The Three Musketeers" my 6 year old daughter and 4 year old son were dancing together as a Prince and Princess, bowing to each other as they do in the movie.
  • Learning that they really do enjoy playing together, their own 'made up' games and I don't have to 'plan' a massive 2 week school holiday itinerary.

Learning to live in the present moment is part of the path of joy.  Sarah Ban Breathnach



I'm linking up with Maxabella Loves... "I'm Grateful" weekly feature.

11 comments:

  1. This is so lovely! I tend to stress out too when the kids are home on break - then I'm always amazed at how fun it is just to be home & do simple things together. Your children sound lovely - they are obviously learning from their wonderful momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you did learn a lot this week. what great kids...sounds as if they have a wonderful role model in you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh it is so true isn't it - lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a gorgeous daughter you have. last holidays we did something everyday, this holidays we've been chillin. Sometimes doing nothing is a part of the grand plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge believer that our children teach us far more than we will ever teach them. Ergo, your fab kids! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on you for letting the house go and focusing on the kids. Goodness knows the housework will still be there long after the kids have gone back.

    Enjoy all the moments. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes , my 4yr olds just turned five and I am looking forward to what learning adventures they have this next year.
    Your daughter sounds very sweet and so wise beyond her years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is so cute, them playing price and princess together. Its great when they can all play away together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love your daughters comment after the modelling competition! Very level headed and caring. Sounds like school holidays might get a little easier for you (for a while!).

    We have had a busy week here planning for Miss A's birthday. We have also had friends staying with us as where we live holds a kids festival these school holidays. Looking forward to a quieter week next week and getting the house in order. It has completely lost control!
    x Lee

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great kids you have there. Playing nicely together, dancing and happy to have done something for kids with cancer.

    I think we can all learn something from that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...