Thursday, July 21, 2011

Lamb & Chorizo Chilli


When you go searching in the freezer for something for dinner, when your meat supply is low and pickings are slim, you can sometimes be disheartened and lacking motivation to put together something nice for dinner. That's what happened to me the other night. Two lonely lamb chops jumped up out at me and I was just lacking any inspiration for dinner that night. I'd only recently had it done Greek style, and then Moroccan but little would I have thought to do it Mexian-style in a chilli.


I googled some ideas and came across a recipe on one of my favourite web sites, Epicurious.com for a Spicy Lamb and Chorizo Chilli. Yay! I had chorizo too and tortillas in the freezer. Dinner was organised. This recipe is perfect for the slow cooker and freezing. I've got just enough leftovers for more tortillas or even as a filling for individual pies.

Lamb and Chorizo Chilli
(based on recipe from Epicurious.com)

2 lamb shoulder chops (or any other cut of lamb suitable for slow cooking)
1 chorizo, sliced
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs red wine vinegar
1 cup stock
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 tbs dried oregano
1 tbs dried cumin
1 can red kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes
salt & pepper

To serve:
tortillas (I popped each tortilla into a lightly greased pan for a minute each side to crisp up.)
coriander (cilantro)
sour cream

  1. Pan fry lamb chops until browned and place in slow cooker (or alternatively in an oven proof dish if cooking in the oven).
  2. Pan fry sliced chorizo until crispy and place in slow cooker.
  3. Deglaze the pan with red wine vinegar and stock and pour over meat in slow cooker.
  4. Add remaining ingredients and cook on low for 4 hours.
  5. Serve in a bowl with warmed tortillas for dipping or spoon into warmed tortillas, top with coriander and sour cream to serve.
Serves 2.

6 comments:

  1. Yum!! I want to try this, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds awesome we love dishes like this yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your exotic meals Anne!!! You're quite the international chef! This recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lamb isn't that readily available here in the states. This sounds really good though. I love chili.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne,
    I just love Lamb and this chili would be delicious. I really like that you are serving it with a tortilla, yummy! I am recovering from an eye surgery last week so I am just trying to stay cool and take it easy. Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe with Full Plate Thursday and please come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. As they say in Hollywood: 'It's a wrap'. LOL. Brilliant variation on a chilli, Anne. Lamb and chorizo, eh? You've just sown a seed for next week's Recipe Shed.
    Ayethangyew

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...