Wednesday, July 13, 2011

WOW Write on Wednesday - Write the Music

 
[photo source]
Pick your favorite song and write down the first line of lyrics OR turn on the radio and write down the first line of lyrics you hear. Then set your timer for 5 minutes and write the first words that come into your head after your writing prompt.  Stop when the buzzer rings! Do this exercise over and over if you wish. 

Extra Credit: After you do the exercise, try it again but this time play the song while you write. Could be an interesting way to get the creativity going... 

"It's been a long time since I rock-and-rolled."


Up until I had my first child in November 2004, I wanted to "rock and roll all night and party every day" (thanks KISS) and I did. Music was and is my life. It may have been a long time since I partied like I did but the rock will always roll inside me.

My earliest memory of music was listening to the radio in the kitchen having breakfast, getting ready for primary school. My Mum's favourite radio station played the cool lounge tunes of Burt Bacharach and Dionne Warwick or the melancholy of The Carpenters. It wasn't until I was in my early teens that I didn't go a weekend without watching "Countdown" (Aussie "Bandstand" type program) and starting my life long love of rock and roll.

Bon Scott in his "Harry High Pants" jeans and no shirt, John Paul Young, Skyhooks, Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney & Wings (didn't get into The Beatles until my late teens), and my favourite group of musicians who were able to produce just the right rock and roll beat and put words to it, Led Zeppelin.

I don't know why people automatically associate sex and drugs with rock and roll. To me it's much more than that. My love of music is much more than that. It's like blood in my veins. It's defined me as the person I am now, at this point in my life. I hear a song from my past and I can pin point exactly what I was doing, how I was feeling, who I was with, everything. Having these memories is better than a photo. Photos fade or get lost. The music never dies in me.  People will write new songs and they will become more memories.

As Robert Plant wrote "to be a rock and not to roll", I'm at a point in my life where I'm satisfied with everything as it happened and look forward to the next 'song' in my life. It may have been a long time since I partied all night long, but I 'rock and roll' every day.



This was a hard choice. I have so many different favourite songs, all from different decades and all for different reasons. I kept coming back to "Rock and Roll" by Led Zeppelin. That pretty much sums up all of my favourite music which is rock and roll in one form or another. (I did try writing a piece while it was playing but there was too much head banging and toe tapping.)

Great suggestion Janelle and thanks Gill, once again, for hosting. Check out the other submissions for this week's "WOW Write on Wednesday".

And, in case you don't know the song, here it is.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the insight, Anne. Looking forward to the next song in life - I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you say music is in your blood. It's a great way to describe it.
    I couldn't write with my song playing either... far to much kitchen chair dancing to be had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I hope the rock will roll inside me. Countdown! Those were the days Sunday nights in front of the telly falling in love with rock gods. You took me straight back there. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing all the different beats we all jive to. How cool to be able to remember what you were doing at particular times when you hear a song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that song! Especially the drum solo at the end.....now I'm going to have this song in my head all night. Which is not a bad thing! And I love Led Zeppelin! Good choice!

    I love your reflection pieces. I can definitely relate to this one. In fact, I think once, back in the day, I might have actually said out loud "I'll never stop rocking!" Haha....I think the way I rock may have changed, but I'm still-a-rockin!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, this song was playing in my mind while I read your post. Like a soundtrack to a movie, a soundtrack to your post. Loved getting this insight into you, Anne. Really shows your passion. And what a cool song to pick. Till the next song!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this! I love how you say "Photos fade or get lost. The music never dies in me." It is exactly like that, I often think of these songs that define parts of me as the sound track to my life.
    Rock on Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is for the lovely Anne, who sure knows her way around a muffin pan!
    She slaves away cooking at her oven each day, creating recipes with simplicity,
    for her blog Domesblissity.

    Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog.
    Bob Dylan I aint ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a great affinity with music! I've often thought about how different songs evoke different memories for me, but had never considered looking forward to the next song! Thanks for the new way of thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I love the mmeories you have through music.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed your post this week. Like you, songs often relate back to very specific memories for me and I love the way hearing a particularly song can bring back significant moments so clearly.

    Music has been something that has kind of drifted out of my life in recent years and your post as reminded me of how much I miss it. Time to make some changes, I think. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.