Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mexican style lamb shanks


I'm kind of glad we had these lamb shanks last Thursday night, when it was pouring with rain and cool-ish. If today's weather is anything to go by, that just could've been our last stew for the year. We've had a lovely warm day today with temperatures in the mid 20's (high 70's in fahrenheit).

I based my recipe on this from the Australian Women's Weekly web site. We tend to eat similar things, week in, week out so I try to mix it up a bit based on what I have on hand.


Mexican style lamb shanks
(based on recipe from Australian Women's Weekly)

1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 medium red capsicum (bell pepper) (200g), chopped coarsely
1/2 medium yellow or green capsicum (bell pepper) (200g), chopped coarsely
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 fresh long red chilli, chopped finely or 1/2 tsp ground chilli powder (optional)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
2 lamb shanks
  1. Combine tomato and capsicum in 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
  2. Combine oil, spices, garlic, chilli and oregano in large bowl; add lamb, turn to coat in marinade. Cook lamb in heated large frying pan,  until browned. Transfer to cooker. Cook, covered, on low, 8 hours. Season to taste.
  3. Serve lamb shanks drizzled with sauce; sprinkle with extra oregano leaves.
I served with mashed potato.

Serves 2.

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing I love more than Lamb Shanks. I also love that they are now easily attainable and no longer a luxury item! This recipe sounds divine, I'm salivating just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne...I have a confession to make...I have never tried lamb! I guess it is something my mom and none of the people in my "circle" have ever made so I never even think about it! But I stated a new link party today and I would love for you to some share this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look utterly delicious, and I love the twist you've given them. Fantastic. Another one bookmarked :)
    Keith aka Reluctant Housedad

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.