Sunday night isn't usually the best time for baking for me. We had such a busy Sunday taking rubbish to the tip, washing, shopping and getting ready for the week. I had friends coming for morning tea on Monday and wanted to whip up something with what I had on hand.
I had a quick browse through one of my old favourites, "Day to Day Cookery", my high school home economics text book and came across this recipe. I've never made it before but the combination of orange and apricots was really good. It's another one of those recipes you could throw just about anything in like sultanas and apple, cherries and walnuts, macadamias and pineapple, kiwifruit and coconut. Just about anything.
Orange & Apricot Loaf
1/2 cup sultanas (I omitted because I didn't have any)
1/4 cup dried apricots
grated rind 1 orange
2 tbs orange juice
3 tbs butter
1/2 cup caster sugar (I just used ordinary sugar)
2 cups self raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
- Chop sultanas and apricots. Add rind and juice of orange allow to stand for 10 mins.
- Beat butter and sugar to a cream (or as I do on a regular basis, melt butter and add sugar).
- Add egg and beat well. Add fruit.
- Sift flour and salt and add to mixture alternately with milk.
- Pour into a greased and floured bar tin.
- Bake in a 180 deg C oven for 30-40 mins.
- Serve sliced with or without butter.