Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Orange & Apricot Loaf


Sunday night isn't usually the best time for baking for me. We had such a busy Sunday taking rubbish to the tip, washing, shopping and getting ready for the week. I had friends coming for morning tea on Monday and wanted to whip up something with what I had on hand. 


I had a quick browse through one of my old favourites, "Day to Day Cookery", my high school home economics text book and came across this recipe. I've never made it before but the combination of orange and apricots was really good. It's another one of those recipes you could throw just about anything in like sultanas and apple, cherries and walnuts, macadamias and pineapple, kiwifruit and coconut. Just about anything.

Orange & Apricot Loaf

1/2 cup sultanas (I omitted because I didn't have any)
1/4 cup dried apricots
grated rind 1 orange
2 tbs orange juice
3 tbs butter
1/2 cup caster sugar (I just used ordinary sugar)
1 egg
2 cups self raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk

  1. Chop sultanas and apricots. Add rind and juice of orange allow to stand for 10 mins.
  2. Beat butter and sugar to a cream (or as I do on a regular basis, melt butter and add sugar).
  3. Add egg and beat well. Add fruit.
  4. Sift flour and salt and add to mixture alternately with milk.
  5. Pour into a greased and floured bar tin.
  6. Bake in a 180 deg C oven for 30-40 mins.
  7. Serve sliced with or without butter.

7 comments:

  1. So, I was just over at Henry Happened leaving a comment about limiting my sugar intake to lose weight and then I come by your site and see this and just want to throw all of that out the window!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a loafy cake! Yum! Might get myself onto that right now! Have oranges, no apricots... will have to have a look through the cupboards!
    Hope you are feeling revived after your MHD!
    x Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how much I love your tea tradition - how fun to sit back with tea & a slice of yumminess. Also love that you have your home ec textboook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that I love that you have your high school textbook too. I bet this is really good with the orange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne

    You must have a different edition of D2D to me, mine (2nd edition) doesn't have this one, so thank you for the recipe. The D2D date loaf recipe is a real favourite in our household and keeps very well too.

    Cheers, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum ... what time are we due over!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne, I am putting this one on my " to cook" list. I love the combination of the Orange and Apricot flavors. Hope you will have a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.