On those days when you've realised, at 4:30pm, that you haven't defrosted any meat for dinner, I always go looking in the pantry for inspiration. I always have a can of tuna in brine and pink or red salmon in the pantry for moments like these. I grabbed the canned salmon, checked we had enough potatoes and made salmon patties. I served it with a very simple salad of lettuce and tomato and a quick tartare sauce that I make.
Salmon Patties with Quick Tartare Sauce
large can of pink or red salmon, bones and skin removed
3 medium potatoes, peeled, chopped, boiled and mashed
1 egg, beaten
1 tbs lemon juice (and/or 1 tsp grated lemon rind, optional)
1 tsp dried dill
1 small onion, grated or chopped very finely
Panko or other dried breadcrumbs
oil for shallow frying
Quick Tartare Sauce:
1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise
1 tbs gherkin relish
1 tbs lemon juice
- Mix flaked fish and mashed potato.
- Add beaten egg, dill and onion.
- Form into patties and roll in breadcrumbs. (If you have the time, refrigerate for 30 minutes before frying.) I make teeny little nuggets for the kids.
- Fry patties in oil until golden and drain thoroughly.
- For tartare sauce, mix all ingredients and serve with patties.