Thursday, August 25, 2011

Salmon Patties with a quick tartare sauce


On those days when you've realised, at 4:30pm, that you haven't defrosted any meat for dinner, I always go looking in the pantry for inspiration. I always have a can of tuna in brine and pink or red salmon in the pantry for moments like these. I grabbed the canned salmon, checked we had enough potatoes and made salmon patties. I served it with a very simple salad of lettuce and tomato and a quick tartare sauce that I make.

Salmon Patties with Quick Tartare Sauce

large can of pink or red salmon, bones and skin removed
3 medium potatoes, peeled, chopped, boiled and mashed
1 egg, beaten
1 tbs lemon juice (and/or 1 tsp grated lemon rind, optional)
1 tsp dried dill
1 small onion, grated or chopped very finely
Panko or other dried breadcrumbs
oil for shallow frying

Quick Tartare Sauce:
1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise
1 tbs gherkin relish
1 tbs lemon juice
pepper

  1. Mix flaked fish and mashed potato.
  2. Add beaten egg, dill and onion.
  3. Form into patties and roll in breadcrumbs. (If you have the time, refrigerate for 30 minutes before frying.) I make teeny little nuggets for the kids.
  4. Fry patties in oil until golden and drain thoroughly.
  5. For tartare sauce, mix all ingredients and serve with patties.
Note: I have made these patties with tuna and swapped the potato for sweet potato for both types of fish. These patties also make a good fish burger, piled high with salad between a bun.

7 comments:

  1. I like the idea of using potatoes in the patties!! I have made tuna patties before but never with potato.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm ... my tummy is growling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you ever do anything with canned crab?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will have to try these on Miss A! I know that I will love them! I have been trying to come up with a good salmon pattie recipe. Will definitely give these a go.

    xo Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great Anne. Have you a tip for me, when I make a similar chicken and a tuna contraption thing I find it can break up a bit and then I have finish it off in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made tuna patties just the other night (I like to add in sardines) - need to try with salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anne,
    It is so nice to see you today! I love Salmon Patties and I really love the idea of using potatoes in the recipe, I will try that. Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...