Monday, August 15, 2011

Take a piece of puff - Baby Cottage Pies



This is a recipe repost from early in April this year. Frozen puff pastry is great for making pastry cases. You can put practically anything in them, from sweet to savoury. These Baby Cottage Pies made a nice change from large pie and would be great as a substantial canape when entertaining.

Baby Cottage Pies

300gm beef mince (or whatever meat you like)
oil for frying
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 zucchini, grated
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbs gravy powder
1/2 cup water
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs tomato sauce
salt & pepper

Potato topping:
3 medium potatoes
2 tbs butter and milk for mashing

frozen puff pastry

Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Boil potatoes until tender and mash with butter and milk. Brown onion in oil then add mince and cook until brown. Add grated vegetables, sauces, gravy powder, water and seasoning. Cook until thickened. Allow to cool. Line cupcake pan with circles of pastry. Spoon mince mixture into pastry and top with mashed potato. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes 18 small pies. One large pie could be made with this recipe as well. Recipe is suitable to freeze.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Anne
    I love this.
    Could you tell me how many sheets of puff pastry you used with that quantity of mince?
    Thanks,
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. GF pastry would work well with this type of recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never would've thought to use puff pastry this way! I have some in my freezer right now. Thanks for the yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delish and really easy to throw together. I don't know why I don't ever think of using pastry pies for anything?? I love them but always forget about them so thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute and yummy! I think I may have to make these for dinner one night, I'm sure the kids will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so impressed with these!!! They look delicious! And relatively easy too! Yum!! Thank you so much for sharing! I'll have to make these!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...