Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Thai Chicken & Cashews


I don't claim to be an expert in Asian cuisine but I do love it. The vegetables are in such wonderful abundance at the moment and I sure could do with a fair bit of healthy eating. We used to eat stir fries all the time before the kids were born. It was always quick and easy after a busy working day and being late home.


Sometimes I'll do a quick version of protein (beef/pork/chicken/fish), vegies (whatever is in the fridge) and carbs (rice/noodles) with soy, ginger, garlic and that's it but tonight I wanted to do something a little different. I browsed the net for recipes using "chicken cashews" as my search criteria and I was shown a Chicken and Cashew Stir Fry with Thai Basil dish on http://www.taste.com.au/. I had most of the ingredients but thought I'd substitute the fresh herbs with pantry items I had. It was really delicious but I should've made heaps more. No leftovers for the husband's lunch. Oh well!

Thai Chicken & Cashews
(Recipe based on Chicken & Cashew Stir Fry with Thai Basil)

60ml (1/4 cup) bottled lime juice
60ml (1/4 cup) fish sauce
2 tbs sweet chilli sauce
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs mint sauce
2 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 onion, peeled, halved, thinly sliced lengthways
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
5 shallots, ends trimmed, cut into 6cm lengths
80g (1/2 cup) raw cashews
600g chicken tenderloins, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper

  1. Combine the lime juice, fish sauce, sweet chilli, soy sauce, mint sauce and sugar in a bowl.
  2. Heat half the oil in a wok over high heat until just smoking. Add the onion, garlic, and shallot. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until the onion softens. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl.
  3. Heat remaining oil in the wok over high heat. Add the cashews. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to the bowl.
  4. Add one-third of the chicken to the wok. Stir-fry for 4 minutes or until just starting to brown. Transfer to the bowl. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining chicken, reheating the wok between batches.
  5. Return the chicken and onion mixture to the wok. Add the fish sauce mixture and pepper. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat.   Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with the fried shallots to serve (optional). Serve with rice or noodles.
Serves 2.

5 comments:

  1. I love having leftovers too! My husband doesn't like bringing them to work because there is a huge line at the microwaves but I LOVE eating leftovers for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got to get better with stir frys - they look so easy but I'm kind of intimidated! Love the cashews in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! We have stir fry a lot, but I'm keen to give this one a go (I get a bit lazy and do the same couple all of the time).

    Might put these on my grocery list and make this on the weekend.

    Thanks for the recipe.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love Thai food, so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne,
    This is a great recipe, with those yummy Cashews. Your photo is awesome.Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.