Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Today is "mental health day"


My mental health day that is. What started out as a day full of motivation and wanting to get things done has slowly progressed to a complete stand still. I've got a 'to do' list a mile long and a week full of appointments that I'm losing track of where I need to be on which day. Even though everything is on my calendar, I'm feeling like I've forgotten something.


On my 'to do' list for today was:
  • wash
  • fold laundry
  • mend
  • vacuum and dust living room
  • wash bathroom and toilet floors
  • tidy main bedroom
  • bake cookies
  • finalise tax return for accountant
  • organise craft supplies for Father's Day card and gift so kids can start making it
I've washed and that's about it. It's become grey, cool and overcast and I feel like curling up in bed with a good book so that's what I'm going to do. Even though, trying to be the most organised person I can be, I love to do all that, I feel like I go into 'overload' mode and can't cope with even the most simplest detail. Like a kettle filled too high and then overflows when it boils. That's me.



On days when my kids are at school and Kindy, I don't interact with anyone unless it's a shopkeeper or someone I've caught up with for a coffee so learning to recognise the times I need a 'mental health day' has been good for me. I suffered from depression in my early 30's and since having the kids, post natal depression. Sure, I still have my 'blue' days but I have the ability to pick myself up and concentrate on the positives.

I just wish, sometimes, that someone might say, "R U Ok?". It doesn't have to be patronising, it doesn't haven't to be interfering. Just three words that might make someone feel that there's people out there who care enough about them and the world is an okay place to be in. Unfortunately, there are people who do take their own lives as a result of depression. Fortunately, I haven't done that and don't intend on doing that anytime soon.


"R U Ok? Day" is Thursday, 15 September 2011. Check out the R U OK website for more information on how you can help, when to know if it's okay to ask "R U OK", dealing with depression and bereavement and how to get involved.

Thanks to Gemma from over at My Big Nutshell for raising awareness of this issue. And yes. I am okay but thanks for asking!

16 comments:

  1. Great post Anne! I have been thinking about how I would do this too and I kept thinking the same thing...I wish someone would ask me occasionally if I was okay?!!

    Good on you for hitting bed with a book... sounds divine and you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right Anne, that feeling of the kettle boiling over. I totally get that. Looking at that list full of good intention and you feel the opposite. I think taking a mental health day preserves exactly that. Your mental health. It's the recognition that you have reached your limit and you cannot and will not go further.

    I love your perspective and insight on this issue. I know some are struggling with ways to write about why RUOK?Day is important and what angle to take. I love this take on it, it speaks to so many women because so many feel like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should've taken a metal health day today but instead I was a little cranky to my family! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. To do lists can wait! Taking time for yourself is much more important. Hope you have a lovely day Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone needs a mental health day now and then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How appropriate - I'm having one today!
    I'll be bigger and better tomorrow!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Love following you on Twitter too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you enjoy your mental health day. Here's hoping tomorrow is more productive for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw Anne I have days like this all the time too. Actually today was one of them. I felt foggy out of it and not in the mood to do anything but eat ha! Taking time for yourself is so important though so I hope you get a little "you" time soon. XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true Anne, in fact I did put myself to bed today, when my daughter was at kinder and my baby was asleep, I left my 4 year old in front of the TV. He knows where to find me, I needed it. maybe tomorrow I might achieve more.
    sometimes we need to cut ourselves some slack don't we.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I give my 5 year old Mental Health Days too when I don't think that school will provide her with anything other than stress. We all need a bit of down time. x

    http://www.hesperasgarden.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne, this made me a little teary. I wish I could give you a big hug! I'm so glad you put the list aside and curled up in bed! And I will definitely mark this date!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've got it sussed Anne. I've seen over the last few months how busy you are and yet how you always take time for other people.

    I'm so glad you recognise that you need to take time for yourself too.

    Enjoy your book and have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes you just have to take that mental health day, let the errands and to-do list sit there. I do the same for my kids too, if they're overwhelmed and run down, better to nip it in the bud.

    Lovely post, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for mental health days! I hope today is a day full of sunshine for you x

    ReplyDelete
  15. There would times when I couldn't get that list completed in a week, let alone a day! Mental health days are great for avoiding getting overwhelmed. I like your approach. No wonder you're OK :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anne, thanks for linking your post up to ruokday blogger collective 2011. Thank you also for your support and help in getting this blogger thingo off the ground. Truly, thanks. xx gemma

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...