Wednesday, August 10, 2011

WOW Write on Wednesdays - Think with character

[photo source]

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 9 - Think with Character. Choose a character from your writing posts. You can still do this exercise if you are new to WoW - select a character from another piece of your writing or simply work through the exercise from scratch.   Now, think about the character in regards to their: gender, age, occupation, physical appearance and mood at this moment. Is your character in the city, the country, inside or outside? Do they live in rich or poor surroundings? Alone or with others? Answer all, some or one of these questions. Now, set your timer for 5 minutes and write the first words about your character that come into your head. Stop when the buzzer rings. This may be one week where you feel you need to throw the timer and take your time. Do whatever works for you. You may also like to consider: Complexion, Style of dress, Hair colour/style, Speaking voice and likely vocabulary, Strengths/Weaknesses, Mannerisms.



Carla stopped for a minute as she was packing for a weekend in the country with the girls. At 36 years of age, she wasn't looking too bad. She was never really conscious of her body image. What ever she liked the look and feel of, she wore. It didn't have to be designer but she had to like it. Jeans looked good on her. Shorts and an old baseball t-shirt looked good on her. Her hair looked good even when it wasn't brushed. She never wore makeup, well hardly ever. But you wouldn't call her glamorous or even beautiful. She seemed to exude negativity due to the way she felt inside. She had pretty low self esteem and wondered why she couldn't find Mr Right and even more so, hold on to him. Everyone else around her was getting married and having babies, but not Carla.

All of her friends thought she was great. She was always the life of the party. She was kind, considerate, always helping out her friends and there for them any time of the day or night. Time was on her side though. She would be patient. She would take one day at a time. Life was meant to be lived. This was her turning point. She slipped on the knitted dress, knee high boots, cute funky wool hat and knee length jacket. None of it matched but she looked great without any effort. She grabbed her bag, stopped to look in the mirror and smiled.




Thanks Gill. I found this a little hard this week when I had to focus on Carla's character. I've found it okay in past week to talk about Carla but tonight I was trying too hard to come up with a description of her character. Hopefully more will come out in weeks to come.

If you want to check out some more wonderful writing, head on over to Inkpaperpen. Thanks Gill!


9 comments:

  1. Am I seeing myself in your character?(I am still 23 years old though)lols..Yours is one my three favorites with this week's prompt.=)

    Smiles,

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it - nice and simple.
    It reads easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad she has found her turning point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also seeing a bit of myself in this character. I look forward to reading more about her :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny, you describe her as exuding negativity and yet, I seem to find her quite likeable all the same! Can't wait to hear more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this character, she exudes confidence in her apperance and yet she is filled with negativity. Well done Anne, you are really bringing Carla to life for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me fell sad for Carla! I've always enjoyed reading about her adventures - accident-prone & quirky as they are!
    Looking forward to finding out more about what creates the self esteem issues.
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it that your doing these now. SO fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are welcome, Anne. I agree that is can be tough to work on a character we have already written about. Sometimes it is easier to work on a brand new character! But you rose to the challenge and gave us a glipmse into Carla. She is very likeable, despite her negativity. But it seems her negativity extends only to her view of herself. Then again, she feels comfortable in her skin. What is it that she doesn't like about herself? I'll look forward to you unfolding more in the weeks to come

    Gill x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...