Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Beef and eggplant lasagna


Lasagna is a dish I make often and I like to vary it up a bit (not that I could ever get sick of traditional lasagna).  The eggplants were looking especially nice at the supermarket so I picked up one and decided to add 2 layers of eggplant to my last lasagna dish.


Beef and eggplant lasagna

500gm (1 lb) beef mince (ground beef)
1 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbs dried basil
1 tbs dried oregano
1 eggplant, sliced
1 tin diced tinned tomatoes
1 cup beef stock
2 tbs tomato paste
extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
instant lasagna sheets
parmesan cheese

Basic recipe for Bechamel sauce
(I've made it so many times I don't use a recipe so unsure of quantities I use)

  1. Brown onion in a little EVOO until softened. Add mince and brown. Add garlic.
  2. Add tomato paste. Fry off for 1 minute.
  3. Add dried herbs, stock, tinned tomatoes and cook for 15 mins (or longer if you have time).
  4. Fry sliced eggplant in small batches in pan in EVOO until golden. Drain on absorbent paper.
  5. Add some meat sauce to bottom of baking dish. Forms layers of pasta, eggplant, meat sauce until finished.
  6. Top with bechamel sauce and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
  7. Bake in a 180 deg C (375 deg F) oven for approx 25 mins or until golden on top. Allow to sit for 10 mins before serving.
Suitable to freeze.

3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to make this on the weekend. I adore eggplant and maybe by putting it in a lasagna my kids will love it too. I love your recipes Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...cheese and pasta...a great pair!! Thanks for joining last week's What's In The Gunny Sack? link party and I hope to see you again for tomorrow's party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, what a lovely little recipe- I too love your ideas. I am always trying to thing of ways to cook eggplant (or aubergine as we call it here), so thank you for this one! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.