Lasagna is a dish I make often and I like to vary it up a bit (not that I could ever get sick of traditional lasagna). The eggplants were looking especially nice at the supermarket so I picked up one and decided to add 2 layers of eggplant to my last lasagna dish.
Beef and eggplant lasagna
500gm (1 lb) beef mince (ground beef)
1 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbs dried basil
1 tbs dried oregano
1 eggplant, sliced
1 tin diced tinned tomatoes
1 cup beef stock
2 tbs tomato paste
extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
instant lasagna sheets
Basic recipe for Bechamel sauce
(I've made it so many times I don't use a recipe so unsure of quantities I use)
- Brown onion in a little EVOO until softened. Add mince and brown. Add garlic.
- Add tomato paste. Fry off for 1 minute.
- Add dried herbs, stock, tinned tomatoes and cook for 15 mins (or longer if you have time).
- Fry sliced eggplant in small batches in pan in EVOO until golden. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Add some meat sauce to bottom of baking dish. Forms layers of pasta, eggplant, meat sauce until finished.
- Top with bechamel sauce and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 180 deg C (375 deg F) oven for approx 25 mins or until golden on top. Allow to sit for 10 mins before serving.