Friday, September 30, 2011

Recipe Recap - Basic Muffins


I was looking through old blog posts and I came across my basic muffin recipe which I originally posted back in early January this year, when I started blogging. There's been a few muffins made since this post but I thought it was worth reposting, with my variations, so far.

Basic Muffins

2 cups Self Raising flour
1/4 cup oil (I used Canola)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg

Add all ingredients, mix lightly and pour into cupcake papers and bake in a 180 deg C oven for 15 minutes. Makes a dozen large sized muffins, 18 cupcake sized muffins or 24 mini muffins.

Variations:
  • Coconut:  Add half a cup of coconut and a teaspoon of coconut essence or use coconut milk instead or normal milk.
  • Choc Chip:  Add half a cup of chocolate chips.
  • Banana:  Add 1-2 mashed overripe bananas.
  • White Chocolate & Macadamia:  Add half a cup of white choc chips and 1/2 cup roughly chopped macadamias.
  • Breakfast:  Add half a cup of rolled oats, half a cup of chopped nuts and half a cup of any dried fruit.
  • Walnut & Carrot:  Half cup of chopped walnuts and 1-2 grated carrots, 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
  • Apple & Cinnamon Crumble:  One grated apple and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Make a crumble mixture of 1 tablespoon of rolled oats, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of plain flour, 1 tablespoon of butter and mix together. Top each muffin with a sprinkling of the crumble mixture before baking.
  • Muffin Doughnuts: Make a batch of basic muffins in small cupcake/muffin pan. Once cooked, brush with melted butter and roll in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
  • Chocolate & Zucchini:  Add 1/2 cup of cocoa, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and 1-2 grated zucchinis.
  • Pumpkin: I tend to add pumpkin puree to anything I bake so the kids get their vegie intake and I have added 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree to any of the above variations.






A great little lunchbox treat or morning/afternoon teas. They freeze well and any fruit (or vegetables) you have in the crisper, make great muffins.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent Anne. I struggle with muffins for some reason. I think it's the golden rule of not over mixing that I have so much trouble with. Anyway I'm going to give yours a bash and see how I go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a lovely weekend by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have trouble with muffins, some have loads of sugar, others are too dry, too many ingredients blah blah I will also give yours a go as I really want to make muffins as they are so versatile. Thanks for re-posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool that they can be customized! I've heard of people making breakfast muffins by adding sausage and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad it's almost dinnerbtime because after reading that and seeing those muffins I'm very hungry. Will have to have a school holiday muffin cooking day, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.