Monday, September 26, 2011

Top 10 footy finals food & printable cupcake toppers for all 4 teams


This weekend wraps up the pointy end of the football season with the Australian Rules (AFL) grand final on Saturday and the Rugby League (NRL) grand final on Sunday. Years ago, I would watch both, party hard and cheer on my favourite teams (hoping that my team would be in the finals). If we weren't at a pub watching the game, we'd try and organise something at home. Since having the kids, we'd try and maybe catch 5 minutes of the AFL final in between changing nappies, feeding or sorting out arguments but this coming Saturday we are having company for a barbecue and I want to make sure I have heaps of snacks for the boys (and us girls of course). Here's some of my favourites from years ago and a few more I'd like to try.

[photo source]
1.  Pigs in a Blanket

18 mini frankfurts (weiners, cheerios etc)
2 sheets ready-made puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
tomato sauce (ketchup) and/or mustard to serve

  • Divide pastry into 9 small squares.
  • Wrap a mini frankfurt in each square of pastry (you may place a small amount of tomato sauce or mustard before you bake them but I don't, preferring to offer these in a bowl on the platter)
  • Brush edge with beaten egg and on top.
  • Bake in a 180 deg C (375 deg F) until pastry is golden.
  • Serve hot with tomato sauce/ketchup.
[photo source]

2.  Meatballs

Using your favourite recipe, cook up a bunch of meatballs and serve hot or cold with your favourite sauce or chutney or on bread rolls with salad, cheese and sauce.  Alternatively, try something different with pork mince, coriander, chilli, garlic and ginger for an oriental take on the humble meatball. Serve with a soy/sweet chilli dipping sauce.


3.  Gourmet Dips

Refer my previous post on DIY gourmet dips.


4.  Sliders

Sliders are the new thing. Just a miniature burger. Think hamburger pattie, cheese, tomato, lettuce, cheese, pickles and sauce on a small dinner roll and you've got a slider. They're easy to hold. Just the thing while you're watching the footy. Try a chicken burger with a chicken mince pattie and salad or fish burger with a fish pattie, lettuce, cheese and tartare sauce.



5.  BBQ Ribs, Chicken Drumsticks or Wings

Nothing goes better than sticky, flavoursome, 'lick your lips/fingers' barbecue ribs, drumsticks or wings with a cold beer (not that I'd know - it's been a while, but it's what I've heard). Try this recipe I got from Miz Helen in Texas, USA. It's the  best.


6.  Individual Nachos

Take a corn chip or make your own tortilla chips by cutting into triangles, rounds or squares. Top with a little Mexican flavoured ground beef and grated cheese. Bake in a medium oven until cheese is melted and top with a little salsa and/or guacamole.  This might be a little easier to eat than trying to scoop a corn chip from a big plate without making a mess. Check out this recipe from the Woolworths web site.


7.  Barbecued Prawn Skewers

You could use just about any flavours with this one. Just thread a peeled green prawn on a bamboo skewer (skewer soaked in water prior to avoid burning), marinade in any mixture you like and barbecue. Serve with a dipping sauce to match. Try this recipe for Lemon Grass Prawn Skewers with Mango Mayonnaise (pictured above). This might be a nice one for the ladies but you'll find it hard keeping them away from the guys.


8.  Deep fried tortellini/ravioli

This is a little naughty but nonetheless a quick savoury snack for game day. You can use ready-made tortellini or ravioli and shallow fry until golden, drain and serve with your favourite dipping sauce. Alternatively, you could make your own, the traditional way or use wonton wrappers to hold any combination of fillings such as ricotta and spinach, pork mince, roast pumpkin, whatever you like.


9.  Ice cream buffet

This one might just be for the girls and any kids that are at the party. Plain vanilla ice cream is okay to use. Just have lots of different dishes holding an assortment of ice cream sundae toppings and chopped chocolate bars so everyone can make their own. You can serve them in bowls, waffle cones or waffle bowls and even go as far as having the team colours in the range of toppings.


10.  Cupcakes with toppers of your team's logo

Make up a simple cupcake batter, ice with white icing or your team's colours and top with a cupcake topper of your team's logo. I've done the hard work for you and created a page of cupcake toppers for all four teams in this weekend's finals series.

Australian Rules

Geelong Cats
Collingwood Magpies

Rugby League

Auckland Warriors
Manly Sea Eagles

(Print, cut and stick together with a toothpick or paste onto card stock in a contrasting colour and then stick together with a toothpick.)

Good luck to all teams and I hope your team wins. My team isn't playing, but there's always next year!

8 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering!!!

    I love ice cream buffets and used to do them for the children's Birthday Parties. VERY messy but fun :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne! Your blog is beautiful! I can only dream of having such a gorgeous blog to call my own. My husband's team (Collingwood) is playing on Saturday and I'd like to think I could prepare some of these treats to celebrate the day... but I don't like my chances. I'm following your blog as I am interested in so many of the topics you cover. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Lawd, That is some yummy eating there. I hopy you enjoy some of it, or better yet-all of it, sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great collection of ideas for those catering for parties this weekend. I'm thinking of heading to Ikea to shop without the crowds. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't eaten breakfast but after looking at these fabulous ideas, my stomach is growling!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great footy food here! I'll have to make some for this weekend. Unfortunately my team isn't playing in the NRL grand final (Brisbane)but we'll be watching it anyway.

    I commented on this post the other day but for some reason it's gone? I'm having a few computer problems at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum! I just made Collingwood cupcake toppers this week int ime for Saturdays game. Go the Pies!!
    x Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so dang hungry now - and craving wings or nachos! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.