Thursday, September 1, 2011

WOW Write on Wednesday - The Fight



I ummed and ahhed about this week's writing exercise because I had nothing. Nothing. I'm a lover, not a fighter and besides the usual sibling rivalry with my two younger sisters growing up or the usual back chat to Mum and Dad as a teenager, I don't think I've ever had a fight with anyone. I've found I've been raising my voice a bit at the kids since they've got a bit older and this doesn't sit well with me at all. I hate it. I don't do it very well. It hurts my throat. It makes me shake and tremor and it probably isn't all that good for the kids either. I never, ever thought I'd yell at them but gosh they make me angry at times.

Anyway, I've given this week's challenge a go, based on personal experience but using my alter ego "Carla" as the main character of the story.


Write On Wednesdays Exercise 12 - The Fight. Kerri says:  I am a writer of non-fiction (for now, anyway). In my book 'When My Husband Does The Dishes...', I wrote a memoir of marriage and motherhood in as honest way as I knew how. In interviews, I was constantly asked how I felt about revealing so much about myself, and how I knew where to draw the line. I always answered the same way. Every single thing I wrote in that book was 100% true, because without my truth, I had nothing to offer. However, the book didn't represent 100% of the truth, just as my blog doesn't represent 100% of the truth. There are personal details of my life, my husbands life and my kids' lives that I will never reveal, because we all need to to keep something for ourselves. And that's the key to writing good non-fiction - or one of the keys. You have to be honest, because without honesty, your work won't speak to people. You have to be fearless, because restraint in writing can be perceived. But that doesn't mean that you have to bare your entire soul. Choose what you want to share, choose what is relevant to your story. But make sure that what you choose to share is real, and true. 

The exercise today is to write a story from your life. And remember: it has to be 100% true, but it doesn't have to be 100% of the truth. There's a difference. The keywords are: The Fight




Carla was well on her way to a new life but the isolation on the road, the long roads, the wide open spaces, the monotony of her CD collection and the static of the radio station in between towns allowed her mind to drift back to her past. The past that shaped the way she thought about things now. The past that would shape her future.

She remembered how, in her mid twenties, she was all set to join the military. Life was one big party. She partied hard and she partied well. She can't really remember why she chose a career in the military but that wasn't important now. There was a deep seated anger that was brewing from her memory.

While waiting to hear if her application was successful into the military, she was out on one of her usual Friday night jaunts in the city. A conversation struck up with a man who she thought was okay but didn't know this man would become the love of her life. Carla discovered that this man was in the army. No biggie. She thought if things progressed they could probably meet up wherever military personnel met up. But, oh no! That wasn't enough for Carla. She fell hook, line and sinker for this man. He just oozed masculinity, charisma and charm.

She eventually followed him interstate to his posting and gave up her military dream. Life was good in a large country town. He soon found out his new posting in a major capital city and went off to find accommodation for the two of them while she stayed on at her okay job and waited for the call to go to him. He would still see her every weekend until one Saturday night, the worst thing that could possibly happen, happened. After a few hours of drinking, he broke the news to her. "I'VE. BEEN. HAVING. AN. AFFAIR." The words echoed in Carla's ears. Even as she remembers, her heart palipates. Her world felt like it had come to an end. This was the only point in her life so far when she had felt angry. Really angry. So angry that she felt like fighting him. How dare he? Who did he think he was? Wasn't Carla everything to him? That's what he told her over and over again. She felt dizzy and felt her legs going from beneath her. So what did he say? "Sorry." Sorry for what? She couldn't believe it.

As she remembered the aftermath from this terrible event, she remembered a quote she saw once. "If a girl is stupid enough to love you after you broke her heart, I guarantee you, she is the one." It was never the same after that. Of course he went away. Of course Carla had thoughts of suicide. Of course Carla started taking his phone calls again and accepting his flowers when he'd realised that things were good with her and of course Carla went back to him. It lasted only another couple of months after that and also during a time when Carla's Dad was fighting cancer. But that part of her past was going to be saved for another time and stayed in the vault where all these thoughts stayed.



 If you want to check out other submissions from this week's exercise, head over to Inkpaperpen.

6 comments:

  1. There are some things that can be forgiven and some that just can't no matter how much you might wish at the time that they can be aren't there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, I know exactly how Carla feels! We wrote about the same thing Anne! I am also a lover; not a fighter, but my moment was one instance that I had a battle...with myself to stay composed!

    Once again, you write about Carla with a deep and obviously personal understanding. I always look forward to visiting her (you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this! That shock, and then taking him back but it only lasting a couple of months - resonates! The images in this piece were very clear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, Anne. This must have been devastating. You really captured the honesty here and I think your writing was all the better for tha. I really felt for Carla. I hope you found the exercise cathartic? Keep writing Carla's story, Anne. I think she wants her story told!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing how you've turned your story in to Carla's Anne. I have been wanting to try and do that with a character for my WoW posts but I can't seem to find a way!
    Horrible story, devastating, and unfortunately something that I think most people go through. Hope it feels better to have put it out there!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.