Wednesday, September 28, 2011

WOW Write on Wednesday - Songbird


Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise


Black bird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to be free


Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.


Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.


Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise,
You were only waiting for this moment to arise,
You were only waiting for this moment to arise


- Paul McCartney


Write On Wednesdays Exercise 16:
Hadge says:  Take a favorite (or even random play) song and write the story behind the lyrics, not something inspired by the lyric, but the flesh on the bones of the story. It gives lots of scope for interpretative writing. Use the lyrics or theme of a song  for a piece of flash fiction (50 to 200 words). To clarify, write your version of the story behind the lyrics in a song.




As always, every early morning, Carla rose for her run. She was living her life with a smooth, easy rhythm just like her feet hitting the pavement. Even though she had no responsibilities, no cares, no worries, having this time to herself at the start of every day allowed Carla to clear her head and set the tone for the day. Some mornings, thoughts of her past would try to creep back, trying to break her rhythm.  She fought the pity and instead, dreamt of how far she could fly.

As the sun started to rise on the horizon, the crisp air of the early morning hitting her already hot face, beads of perspiration falling like the seconds ticking on her groovy new sports watch, she focused. She focused on how, for some reason, fate had brought her to this very point. This serene, nearly zen-like moment like she was waiting for it all her life. How, with positive thoughts, focus and a yearning for life and living Carla could seek out new opportunities. A new adventure. A new beginning. 

Her heart had been closed to kindness and love for so long. Her eyes had been blind to seeing real beauty up until this point in her life. All her life. Her 37 years of life, she was waiting for this moment. She would soar to new heights. She was now awakened by a new light which was turned off up until this time. She had fallen in love all over again. With love. With life. With Carla. 




I had a hard choice trying to decide on a song. I was prompted by the "songbird" title of the blog post and couldn't decide on Stevie Nicks "Nightbird" or The Beatles "Blackbird". The Beatles won. One of my all time favourites (I have many as you know). Listening to music is so inspirational for me. I felt totally moved, as I always do, listening to "Blackbird". I could feel Carla's story fit right into it. Hope you enjoy it.


PS: Following my story from last week regarding 'Frank', I couldn't think of nothing else all week. I was starting to fabricate all these weird and wonderful stories about him and a really colourful, adventurous life he must've led. I found out this week (by the next door neighbour) he has been seeing a woman in our street for ages so there you go. Not as exciting as I had imagined!

Head on over to Inkpaperpen for this week's instalments.

12 comments:

  1. I could really feel the movement while reading this. I felt her running, and felt when it took on something more than just exercise. As though she were running towards all of the beautiful new things in her life. Great writing!

    http://lilliemcferrin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Blackbird" is one of my favorite Beatles songs. You did a wonderful job with the imagery of her going through her walk. I could sense the essence of her romantic life. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my all time favorite songs and also a theme song for a time in my life when I started to make friends with myself. Nice story, well written and deeply touching for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it Anne. Rock Chick needs to take a leaf out of Carla's book! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Anne, I could feel Carla wanting to soar after reading it with the song playing.

    PS I don't think I've ever heard this song :o and this is seems to be happening for me with a lot of the pieces this week. Thinking I need to get out more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was beautiful! I too am a HUGE Beatles fan and I got so excited when I saw you were doing this song. It is such a powerful song, with such an important message, and I felt that in your writing piece. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my (many) all time favourite songs.
    I could heart the song as I read, and love how you have captured it in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Blackbird too.....I really liked what you wrote, I could see her and almost hear her in my minds eye while reading. I think Im having a Carla moment myself currently....haven't quite got to flying yet but am flapping my wings a little x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant choice of song Anne. I can really relate to Carla this week, I often feel the same way when I'm out jogging on my own. Wonderfully written as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, my comment seems to have been eaten by the comment monster!
    Lovely song, just beautiful. Carla's story is really starting to take shape.
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sense of joy and hope that you've brought to this piece. i must find time to read back over the Carla character!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like we are witness to Carla's transformation. What a triumph, Anne!

    I love both the song choices you mentioned here, why not try the same exercise with the Stevie Nick songs too? Let's see where Stevie takes Carla - she's gotta take her somewhere amazing! There is a scene in School of Rock where the stuffy principal loses herself in Stevie Nicks and I think you can't help but get losts in her music.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...