Thursday, October 27, 2011

Chocolate Chia Muffins


It was time to stock up on the school/kindy lunch box treats last weekend and I thought I'd do the usual muffins (of some type) and then I remembered I'd 'won' a packet of chia seeds. I added them to my basic muffin mix along with some cocoa and I had a lovely healthy little bundle of goodness for the kids (and us grown ups).


In case you hadn't heard, Chia seeds are the new wonder food on the market at the moment. They're not so new though.


Chia seeds (Salvia Hispanica) is the richest known plant source of Omega 3, the essential fatty acid (almost 20%). It is one of the most powerful, functional, and nutritious superfoods in the world! Chia seeds are also rich in dietary fiber, antioxidants, protein, calcium, iron, vitamins and minerals.


Chia seeds can be eaten in fresh raw forms (sprinkled on salads, cereals, icecreams, etc) which are an excellent source of Omega 3 essential fatty acids and fibre which help in your digestion, known as dietary fibre. Chia seeds have more Omega-3 than salmon, more anti-oxidants than fresh blueberries, more fibre than bran flakes, more calcium than milk and more protein, more fibre and more calcium than flaxseed.  Chia seeds can be grounded and the grounded Chia can be eaten with porridge. If you soak Chia seeds in water or fruit juice, you can get to taste a tasty liquid which is known as Chia fresca in Mexico and part of South Western US. Chia seeds can be used to make into gel which can be a good substitute for oil and fats in your food. This gel can also be added to jellies, baked foods and sauces.


(Source:  Chiatrition Chia Seeds)

Cross section of muffin - told my daughter "look, no seeds"
Chocolate Chia Muffins

2 cups self raising flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup oil (I used Canola)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg

1 tbs Chia seeds
2 tbs hot water

Soak Chia seeds in hot water until a gel forms. Combine all ingredients, mix lightly and pour into cupcake papers and bake in a 180 deg C oven for 15 minutes. Makes a dozen large sized muffins, 18 cupcake sized muffins or 24 mini muffins. (I usually bake without cupcake papers. Just spray oil in the muffin pan so they don't stick.)


(By the way, if you need a new mixer, here are some Kitchen Aid coupons.)

8 comments:

  1. I love it when you can make a treat more healthy! I've made muffins with bran before but never tried Chia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, yet another recipe that has been on my bake to do list. I have some chai syrup here, was thinking of mixing it up strong with milk and trying that in the muffin mix. But the seeds are a must get there are some many wonderful benefits in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making recipes "healthier" by adding things like seeds and nuts! I've been meaning to buy some chia seeds for so long, but every time I go to the shops, the price tag makes me walk away. So expensive! These look delicious xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I'm finally getting my Domesblissity fix after such a long wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. I almost bought some seeds this week, will do next shop... chocolate muffins are my favourite by far.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo! These sound great! Anything that makes chocolate healthier is fine by me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anne,
    Your Chocolate Chia Muffins look so good. I am going to look for the Chia seeds so I can try these muffins, they look really moist. It is getting cold here, at last, so I know it must be getting warm there. Hope your summer is milder than ours was. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did they taste Anne?

    I made chickpea and choc chip cookies last weekend - it makes you feel good to bake something a little bit healthy!

    Haven't tried Chia yet but adding it to my To Bake list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...