Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Blueberry Pikelets


Sunday breakfasts at our place are usually laid back and as the short order cook, I like to cook up something a little bit special for breakfast. (I'm joking about the short order cook part but some days I think my family isn't!) It's usually bacon, eggs, hash browns etc but today I was in a bit of a hurry to get a few things done before it got too hot and off to the shops for a few groceries so I decided on pikelets.


Pikelets are an Australian version of a pancake. They are a bit thicker than a pancake and more fluffy like a cake. I ate pikelets long before I ever heard of a pancake. I think pancakes only became popular after more American TV shows featured them. Mum always made pikelets for us for afternoon tea after school on the days the biscuit barrel was empty or it was a cooler day. They were one of the first things I learnt to cook. You can find out a little bit of history on the humble pikelet here.


When I haven't got any bulk pancake mix on hand, I like to use this recipe from my high school Home Economics text book, "Day to Day Cookery". I also added blueberries because I had a couple boxes of them and they are super plump and juicy at the moment and good value for money.

Blueberry Pikelets

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp butter or 1 tbs cream
1 cup self raising flour
salt
3 tbs sugar
2 tbs blueberries (or other fruit, eg strawberries, raspberries, grated apple, diced pear, peaches)
  1. Place egg, sugar and half of the milk in a bowl. Whisk well.
  2. Sift flour and salt twice (I don't) and add to mixture.
  3. Add milk until batter is the consistency of thick cream. Add melted butter or cream. Add fruit.
  4. Beat until smooth then pour from a soup soon onto a preheated and greased griddle iron or frypan.
  5. When surface of pikelet is bubbly, turn and cook on the other side.
  6. Remove and place in a towel to cool.
  7. Serve with butter/cream and/or jam.

3 comments:

  1. They look yum Anne.

    I do a slightly different version of them which are called drop scones. I have to say, they dont rise as much as yours do!

    They taste lovely though so I may get around to publishing the recipe one day.

    Meanwhile, you have made my mouth water yet again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting! I've never heard of pikelets but they look delicious. I love how they have a little more volume than a pancake. What a great recipe, pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. would love it if you could share this on my link party Serenity Saturday at www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

    Natasha xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.