Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pinning & Singing: A story of the doily or doilie


Wikipedia says, "a doily (or doilie) is an ornamental mat, originally the name of a fabric made by Doiley, a 17th-century London draper.  They are crocheted and sometimes knitted out of cotton or linen thread. Openwork allows the surface of the underlying object to show through. In addition to their decorative function doilies have the practical role of protecting fine-wood furniture from the scratches caused by crockery or decorative objects." I love them. I'm not sure but I think many people think they're very old fashioned but a lot of people are repurposing them into beautiful, functional and fashionable pieces.

I grew up with them dotted around the house, protecting the furniture, lessening the amount of dusting to do and giving me something to iron when I was learning how to. Before me, my mother, and those before her, were learning embroidery and crocheting by making doilies. I have many that I'm saving for a quilt I hope to do next year but I have some from my Mum, aunt and grandmother that I will keep for ever for the purpose they were intended. I also have paper doilies I use to put on platters and trays when serving food, just for a little decorative touch. I've made a few that will also remain in my collection.

Here are some beautiful doily pins I found this week.

Source: flickr.com via Anne on Pinterest




Source: etsy.com via Anne on Pinterest






Source: curbly.com via Anne on Pinterest


















I'm linking up with Natasha from "5 Minutes Just For Me" and Tina Gray dot me.

13 comments:

  1. I saw that doily table runner, and am going to do something similar... if I can find where my doilies are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love doilies and collect them everytime I'm at the charity shop. It doesn't matter what design it is, or the colour, I just have to have it! And to think I used to hassle my mum about all the doilies around the house. btw - her doilies are now at mine! lol. Great pins...thanks for sharing these beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so beautiful - I actually NEED doily bunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a huge doily fan but omg i loved so many of these

    Deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very gorgeous! There are some great ideas there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like doilies. Yes, they are a bit old-fashioned, but I think they're extremely vintage cool :) :) I use them on my glass table...to protect the glass from my teacups, saucers etc :) They're beautiful and practical at the same time. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these pins, Anne. My Grandmothers STILL use doilies. I remember learning to iron with them too :) Loving the table runner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say I have never given the old doilie a fair chance, but after seeing some of these gorgeous pins, i may have to rethink that :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The daisy's on the light shade remind me of the daisies that my mum had on her wedding dress... 60's wedding! I love how they've "up-cycled" them into something new and interesting.
    xx Lee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not really into doilies being using in the old fashioned way but I love all of the new ways people are using them!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous pins! I can't narrow down my favourite.

    I have only just started my love affair with doilies. I must say I used to give my Granny a hard time about heres but have recently been asking her if she can dig any out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very late to visit and to say thank you for linking up to my Pinning and Singing party-I am so sorry! I have been a bit pre-occupied with my 12 Days of Christmas series on my Christmas blog!

    Thanks again for linking up and sharing these great pins! I love that dress!!

    Best Christmas wishes and happy pinning!

    Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.