Friday, December 30, 2011

Salted peanut butter fudge


My sister has a sweet tooth (like me) and she has just about everything a woman could desire (unlike me) so I always like to make her homemade sweets for birthdays and Christmas. She loves fudge and I've made quite a few varieties for her before but I wanted to use what I had on hand and that was peanuts. Adding rock salt or salt flakes to chocolate, caramel etc has become very popular so I wanted to add just a bit of salt to some caramel fudge with peanuts added until I came across this recipe by Stephanie from The Joy of Baking.


I'm warning you. This recipe is way too easy and just way too delicious and rich to be enjoyed too much. It is very similar to the centre of Reece's Peanut Butter Cup which also lends itself to another danger. One of my favourite ever combinations; chocolate and peanut butter.  See what you think and see how it compares to traditional fudge or a Peanut Butter Cup.

Salted Peanut Butter Fudge

1 cup (240 ml) smooth peanut butter
1 cup (230 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 pound (4 cups) (450 grams) confectioners' (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
extra peanuts, chopped finely for sprinkling on top
salt flakes, for sprinkling on top (optional)



  1. Line the bottom and sides of an 8 or 9 inch (20 or 23 cm) square pan with aluminum foil or wax paper. Butter, or spray with a non stick cooking spray, the foil or wax paper.
  2. Place the peanut butter, butter, and salt in a large microwaveable bowl and cook in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes on high. Stir and continue to microwave (if needed) until the ingredients are completely melted. Then, using a spatula or wooden spoon, stir in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Spread the fudge into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon.
  3. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and salt flakes.
  4. Cover and place in the refrigerator until firm (at least two hours).
  5. To serve, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.


Remember, blame Stephanie, not me!

7 comments:

  1. oh, just a bit more food lust until the new year. I better get my peanut butter fudge making in quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm yummy. Are these easy to 'stuff' up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness...this looks fantastic! I've been having way to many sweets lately and these look hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me the minute you compared it to the center of a Reeses...this sounds amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing on Trick or Treat Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love peanut butter fudge! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites! I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, WOW! I must make! Clicked through from Inside BruCrew Life and a I'm glad I did! I'd love for you to join Crazy Sweet Tuesday sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...