Thursday, December 1, 2011

A train ride to Santaland (in Brisbane City) - Part 2

On Albert Street, looking towards King George Square Christmas tree
Continuing on from our journey into Brisbane city last Friday for my son's birthday, after lunch, we continued on up the Queen Street Mall to one of the large department store's Christmas window display. This was a big tradition for me when I was young. Dad would drive us all into the city, rain, hail or shine and we'd stare in wonder and amazement at these Christmas window displays. Even back in the late 60's and early 70's the displays had a lot more automation, colour and detail.  Somehow it didn't hold the same appeal for me. There wasn't much in these displays and they lacked any 'authencity', that is resembling Santa's workshop and the elves working madly. The kids didn't seem to mind. It was their first time seeing it. (Sorry for the reflection in the photos.)







As we were making our way up to the top floor of the department store to see Santa, I couldn't help but snap a few photos of the beautiful crockery and tableware displays for Christmas. No way was I taking the kids anywhere near that!


Imagine a tree covered in all this blue

We arrived in "Santaland" and they had a little train ride set up around the perimeter. You then moved into Santaland to see the man himself. It was really well organised and I think we chose the perfect time to go as there were hardly any people there whatsoever.

Don't you just love waving to kids on a train ride?



Headless child mannequins climbing tree?
The kids hadn't really given their Christmas wish much thought but surprised me with my son asking for the game "Hungry, Hungry Hippo" and my daughter wants a "Surfer Barbie". What else?

It was a hot day so a cold drink before we headed back to the train station and then on home. Hopefully the kids will remember this lovely day out for a long time.


And for my overseas friends, this shop on the way back to the train station might amuse you. It was a "Save the Koala" shop. You can buy things online and all money received goes to the Australian Koala Foundation, a foundation dedicated to the conservation of the koala and its habitat.

4 comments:

  1. Cute Koala shop! I checked out their website and my kids would love that stuff! BTW I love the new header on your blog. It looks like you had such a fun day and I can't get over it being Christmas time and everyone is wearing shorts, t-shirts and sundresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun. Those headless kids are creepy. It sounds like a lovely day. As for the store windows, I have noticed a huge lack of effort here. I think stores are getting lazy or just don't want to spend the money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...