Saturday, March 31, 2012

International Cuisine @ Home - Italian


We begin this series on International Cuisine @ Home with my favourite of all cuisines, Italian.  I will aim to feature as many cuisines I know and what one might stock in a home kitchen to reproduce these foods at home.  Once you start to read a few of them, you'll find the ingredients will be very similar. It's usually the cooking process that determines where its from. I try to keep these basics in my larder, that span across a variety of countries, so I am able to have a variety of meals at home.

From the pantry:
Pasta, rice, flour, tinned tomatoes, chick peas (garbanzo beans or ceci), cannellini beans, berlotti beans, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, sugar, stock powder/cubes, breadcrumbs, yeast, nuts (eg walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts), polenta, tomato paste, passata (cooked tomato sauce already flavoured)

From the fridge:

Beef, pork, chicken, veal, cured meats (eg pepperoni, proscuitto), ricotta cheese, marscapone cheese, parmesan cheese, cream, eggs, milk, butter

Fruit & vegetables:

Onion, garlic, tomatoes, celery, carrots, potatoes, spinach, broccolli, eggplant, zucchini and their flowers (corgette), capsicum (bell peppers), asparagus, pumpkin (butternut squash), leeks, radishes, beets, mushrooms, fennel, artichokes, beans, prickly pears, lettuce varieties (eg rocket, radicchio), lemons, apples, berries, oranges and other citrus fruit, pears, grapes, peaches, plums, cherries

Herbs & spices:

Basil, oregano, parsley, marjoram, chilli flakes, thyme, garlic, sage, peperonicini (hot chilli flakes), rosemary, mint, nutmeg, saffron, vanilla

How to make your own pasta


Beef & eggplant lasagna


Chicken & vegetable risoni



Eggplant parmigiana & mozarella stack



Osso Buco with tomatoes & gremolata



Silverbeet & ricotta lasagna



Pesto genovese



Cannellini Bean Spread / White Bean Dip



Easy polenta



Orange & Fennel Salad



Pistachio & Cranberry Biscotti



Easy Pizza dough


So, there's so many different varieties of Italian food but the ingredients are found in most homes. Let the seasonal produce dictate what you're going to cook.  Remember, substitute, substitute, substitute.

7 comments:

  1. homemade pasta is pretty much the best thing ever. Closely followed by homemade pizza! I think I need to move to Italy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post has made me so hungry and it's bedtime! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy you've gone and done it with this post. I haven't had lunch and now I could eat everything on the page. YUMMY yummy yummy. I LOVE Italian anyway and with your post it couldn't get any better. I'm glad you posted the pantry must haves. I need to get going and get mine caught up. Can hardly wait to make some pasta today.

    xxoo

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never really had a go at homemade pastry... I really should!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, those look like some pretty good fall meals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just looking at all these photos has made me so hungry for Italian specialties! Hope all is well with you in Australia, Anne! Blessings, Roz xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Italian food is definitely one of my weaknesses but then again maybe it is just food itself :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...