Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Salad Rice Paper Rolls


When you're stuck at home on your own during the week and you put together your boring old salad ingredients for lunch, why not wrap them up in rice paper rolls and serve them with a dipping sauce. I often make myself Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls for lunch with chicken, rice noodles and other authentic ingredients but I was putting together a simple tuna salad with fresh coriander (cilantro) and was going to make an Asian style dressing when I decided to wrap it all up and serve the dressing on the side as a dipping sauce.


Rice paper is available in the Asian ingredient aisle at the supermarket and they're reasonably priced. They keep forever in the pantry and they are good for a light lunch or appetiser.


They're so easy to make. Mix up your salad ingredients like you would a regular salad. Soak a piece of rice paper into a dish of water for about 30 seconds until soft. Place on a clean tea towel, pile filling into centre, wrap bottom over filling, then wrap sides into centre and then roll to enclose. The sticky rice paper will seal. Serve with an Asian style dipping sauce of soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce.


Salad Rice Paper Rolls

  • chicken breast, tuna, salmon, other cold meat, tofu, cheese
  • lettuce varieties
  • tomatoes (I used baby roma)
  • cucumber, bean sprouts, fresh herbs, capsicum (peppers)
  • any salad ingredients
  • nuts like peanuts
  • rice paper
Dipping sauce:
  • equal quantities of soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce
  1. Combine salad ingredients.
  2. Soak one piece of rice paper in a shallow dish for approx 30 seconds or until rice paper has softened.
  3. Place on a clean tea towel and place a large amount of salad in centre of paper.
  4. Wrap up bottom of paper, then sides and continue to roll into a small parcel.
  5. Soak another piece of rice paper and continue until desired amount of rolls have been made.
  6. For dressing, combine all ingredients and serve with rice paper rolls for dipping.


I think this way of eating your salad would only work really well with light Asian ingredient style salads not your thick creamy type salads like potato or mayonnaise dressed salads. The addition of thinly shredded cabbage would work really well. Why not give it a go.

7 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!!! I had some spring rolls made like this last summer but was wondering how the rice paper worked....now I'll have to go out and get some! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried using rice paper but it look easy enough! You salad looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I like these but my kids don't... maybe in a few years when they will hopefully be less picky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! My duaghter takes them in her lunchbox sometimes. A great way to use leftover chicken or whatever and something different. Never thought of doing tuna though, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girl friend and I love them, although our kids didn't. We have done alot of research and have found we like the square ones made by Royal Dragon brand. I just buy them from an asian shop. I made them for my family using this brand and everyone enjoyed them so much more. They are so easy. Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anne,
    This is a great idea that I would really enjoy and your recipe looks awesome. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping from Nifty Thrifty. What a great idea, and love salads and rice paper wraps. So it is a great idea to use them together. Your recipe sounds really good and I will be trying out. This is great because kids could help making their own. My fingers are crossed that you'll come on over at post this at Sunday's Best Party tonight, sure hops so!(www.my1929charmer.com).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.