Friday, May 25, 2012

BLT Salad


I've been going to the gym and trying to eat a lot healthier. That's one of the reasons there hasn't been too many baked goods on the blog lately. I'm trying to eat a salad at lunch and dinner with whatever I'm having, just to bulk up. I had all the ingredients for a BLT sandwich the other day but knew I couldn't possibly fit all the lettuce I usually eat in one sitting on one tiny bit of bread so decided to throw it all in a bowl.


I didn't want to make croutons nor have too many carbs so toasted just one slice of bread and chopped that up and tossed through the salad. It was a nice way to eat that BLT combination, which is such a favourite with so many people.

BLT Salad

  • bacon, grilled, microwaved or fried
  • tomato, chopped
  • lettuce leaves, torn
  • bread, toasted
  • vinaigrette or salad dressing of your choice
  1. Toss bacon and salad ingredients into a bowl.
  2. Chop toasted bread into squares and toss through salad.
  3. Top with chopped, cooked bacon and salad dressing. Toss.
  4. More salad ingredients or nuts can also be added like pecans, walnuts, pinenuts.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely salad and a great way to enjoy a BLT without indulging in too much bread! I'll be making myself one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now why have I never made this for myself? I think I know what lunch is going to be tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought bacon last week with the intention of making a BLT but it never happened. There's always tomorrow though!
    D x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! That sounds great! I do something similar in summer - I add boiled eggs and some olives {don't like anchovies, but like the saltiness....}. This would be a great lunch with the protein and the carbs and the salad. I have just added that to my list of sugar free lunches! Thanks!

    Thanks also for linking in with #teamfriday... really appreciate your support. Am starting to wonder when we can meet, I bet we would have some great recipes to swap {and other things to natter about as well!}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good. Please come share at the Anything Goes Bacon Time linky that will start at 6 AM PT today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds yummy -- a "sandwich" without the bread is a perfect lunch in my low carb book! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great salad! How are you recipes for the next round of your competition going? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good recipe, and a little bacon can go a long way, so too with bread. I love a huge salad for lunch, like to feel I am eating a hearty meal and the more veggies the better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like using a little bacon for flavor. Thanks for sharing this delicious salad on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious idea! Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    --Trish

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.