Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cleaning your home

[photo source]

Here we are. The 9th of May and I scheduled into my THRiVING feature that I would talk about cleaning in the month of May. Ooops, still trying to catch up but hopefully I'll get there.

[photo source]
Yeah, yeah, yeah. We've heard it all before. Create a schedule, do 10 minute blocks of cleaning throughout day, polish your sink before you go to bed, find a cleaning fairy and it goes on. No matter which way you look at it, our homes need to be cleaned or tidied at some stage or another. It will never go away.

An Australian aboriginal 'humpy' (Photo courtesy of ABC.net.au)

It wouldn't matter if you lived in a humpy, a caravan or a mansion. It needs to be tidied. How often and how thoroughly we do it and how we manage to do that during the course of the day and the week, is the question.

[photo source]

Before children and even before husband, I always kept a tidy home. Things were put away as soon as I finished with them and I did a once a week clean. I was little on the obsessive side though back in those days so when children came along I found it very hard to 'turn a blind eye' to an untidy house. Now, after 7 years, it's quite easy! This is a poem I tried to live the last 7 years of my life by:

Aged approx 4 and 2

Some houses try to hide the fact
That children shelter there.
Ours boasts of it quite openly,
The signs are every where.

For smears are on the windows,
Little smudges on the doors;
I should apologise I guess
For toys strewn on the floor.

But I sat down with the children
And we played and laughed and read,
And if the doorbell doesn't shine,
Their eyes will shine instead.

For when at times I'm forced to
Choose the one job or the other,
I want to be a housewife....
But first I'll be a mother.



[photo source]

It's only now, since my youngest started school this year, that I feel I've got the time to start keeping house the way I used to. It doesn't have to be a chore. I'll endeavour to tell you about how I do it (when I do do it, that is) and share some tips and hints to do it on the cheap. It doesn't have to be expensive and you don't need all those cleaners and cleaning equipment the experts say you need.



This post is part of domesblissity's THRiVING - Thrifty Living feature.

9 comments:

  1. Love the poem and I'm looking forward to hearing your tips! The more busy I get with my blogging the less time I have to spend on my house so I need your quick and easy cleaning advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean Anne, everything was so neat and tidy before the kids. Its been so long for me now that I barely remember my housework routine before, lol. I keep the place tidy now but I dont panic if its a mess...especially if the weather is sunny, I hate to waste a moment cleaning when I could be out in the fresh air x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, what a beautiful poem. I used to be so upset that my house didn't look like something out of a magazine....after all, I was home all day. Then, I decided that the house would always be there, my kids would not! So continue hugging your kids and living right along with them....you own't regret a minute of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The harder a WIFE works? ANd what about us, husbands? I mean, we are also supposed to be helping our loving wives, not leave all the household chores to them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog great pictorial represent of your write up.Good tip to note .. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Keep it up! This is a good read. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about office cleaning. I am glad to stop by your site and know more office cleaning.
    Commercial Cleaning is a broadly-based term predominantly used by cleaning companies who earn an income by being contracted by individuals, businesses or corporations to carry out cleaning jobs on a variety of premises. Cleaning companies can be found in virtually every town and city in the world, with a higher concentration in affluent regions.
    We understand that trust, reliability, and peace of mind are top priority when selecting a company to maintain your office. Put the worry in our hands — our professional, well-trained staff will provide a carefully designed and managed cleaning solution that fits your needs.

    Barnstable office cleaning

    ReplyDelete
  7. Practice makes perfect! For almost 7 years of making cleaning part of your daily routine, it looks like you are now an expert on it. Moms really can find fulfillment in doing service for their family. That’s what you call the product of love!

    -Bennett Mccray

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, they say that it takes at least 7 years to be a master of something, and I guess your experience proves them right! Cleaning up after our kids may seem like a hassle, but after a while, when they grow up, we’ll miss chasing after them and breaking our backs to clean up their muddy mess.

    Guy Houchins

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for providing such useful information. I am very much impressed with your article and I am happy that I am associated with your site.thanks
    Office Keepers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...