Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Quick & Easy Butter Chicken


When I get a craving for something, I just about do anything to get that dish made and eaten. When I felt like Butter Chicken the other night, I remembered a recipe I'd seen years ago that was easy but it used tomato paste, which I didn't have. I know how to substitute most things but just didn't feel adding something like tomato sauce in place of paste would've done the butter chicken any justice.


Instead, I just had a look at what I had in the fridge and pantry. Time was running out. I didn't want to grind spices or run to a late night store for tomato paste and whipped this quick and easy version up based on the Easy Butter Chicken recipe I had from years ago. It may not be authentic and it may not be exactly the same as the recipe I had but it hit the spot.

Quick & Easy Butter Chicken

  • 1 tbs butter
  • 1 tbs oil
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed (or 3 tsp of crushed garlic)
  • 1/2 tsp each of ground ginger, cinnamon, salt, turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder
  • chilli powder to taste
  • 1 chicken breast, chopped
  • 4-6 Roma egg tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
  • handful of baby spinach leaves
  1. Melt butter and saute onion and garlic for 2 mins.
  2. Add spices and stir until aromatic.
  3. Add chicken and saute for about 5 mins.
  4. Add chopped tomatoes, cream and yoghurt and simmer gently for 15 mins or until tomatoes have broken down.
  5. Remove from heat and throw in washed baby spinach leaves. They will wilt from heat of dish.
  6. Serve with steamed rice.
  7. Suitable to freeze.
 

7 comments:

  1. I made Butter Chicken with my year 10 classes last week. They were so impressed because "it tastes just like Indian food from the shops!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Anne that looks delish! Might have to add it to the meal plan as I tend to use a butter chicken mix from the supermarket. Very naughty of me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at quick and easy :)
    Looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to try this...I like indian inspired dishes. Why is it called butter chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be trying this soon!
    Newly following!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anne,
    It is so good to see you today, sounds like you are really busy. We think when our kids go to school it will give us lots of time, but that is not always the case. Your Chicken looks delicious, all I need is my fork! Hope you have a Very Special Week End and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! This looks yummy! My kids eat anything over rice so this would be a hit for sure. Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout! --Trish

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.