Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Leek, Spinach & Feta Tart


I picked up a couple of leeks on the weekend to make a potato and leek soup sometime this week but talking about tarts to a friend of mine, I just had the urge to do something like this for dinner the other night. I had feta and cubes of frozen spinach in the freezer so threw this together quickly.


To keep it light in calories, I used a reduced fat ready made frozen puff pastry and I binded the leek and spinach mixture with an egg before topping with the crumbled feta.


But don't do what I did. I left the blue plastic on the sheet of puff before I put it in the oven! Arrrggghh! Never in my life have I done that before, but I just scraped the good stuff off the bottom part and ate it anyway. I was hungry!

Leek, Spinach & Feta Tart

  • 1/2 leek, sliced thinly
  • 1 cube frozen spinach, defrosted (or 1-2 leaves of fresh spinach or silverbeet)
  • oil spray
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 tsp dried dill (or fresh)
  • 1 sheet reduced fat puff pastry (remembering to take off blue plastic)
  1. Preheat an oven to 180 deg C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
  2. Saute the leek and spinach in a non stick pan with a spray of oil until leek has softened.
  3. Remove from the stove and mix in beaten egg and dill.
  4. Score a line on the pastry with a knife about 1.5cm around the edge of the pastry and place the leek mixture within that mark.
  5. Bake for approx 15 mins or until pastry has browned.
  6. Serve with a Greek salad. Serves 2.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds delish! Pinned to make for dinner soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing - I love feta cheese in the summer (well, really any time of year!)...and I would have eaten it off the sheet of plastic, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really good! I love puff pastry...without the plastic of course! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!!!! Gosh, this looks delicious. Definitely one to try. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohh yum! i love a bit of a tart, especially anything with caramelised onionyness and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So delicious! What a yummy flavor combination. Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.