Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Creamy Mushroom Risoni/Orzo


Have I told you how much I like risoni (or otherwise known as orzo)? To me, it's like a 'poor man's' risotto, not that arborio rice (the rice traditionally used for risotto) is all that expensive. Sometimes you can pick up a bag of risoni for $1 and it will last you for ages, it's quick to cook and you can use it so many ways. I love it cooked like this in a bit of stock and a touch of cream. Change your macaroni to risoni for the kid's Mac'n'Cheese or add to soups to bulk it out a little. This is also a great side dish with any vegetables added.


Creamy Mushroom Risoni

  • 250gm button mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 1/2 tbs thyme, dried
  • 1/2 cup risoni
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup cream
  • grated parmesan cheese, to serve
  1. Pan fry mushrooms in melted butter until just starting to soften.
  2. Add thyme and garlic.
  3. Add stock and risoni.
  4. Cook until pasta has softened and most of the liquid is absorbed.
  5. Just before serving, add cream and heat through.
  6. Top with grated parmesan to serve.
  7. Serve with garlic bread.
Serves 2.

8 comments:

  1. Anne, This risoni looks creamy, oozy, gooey delicious! I'm sure that you are enjoying it now that Australia's cooler weather is arriving. We're melting in the States. One of my best college student graduates has moved to Australia where she spent a few months last summer and just LOVES IT!
    Hugs, Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Anne this looks SO good. I've never had risoni but it sounds delicious. I've never made risotta per se, yet I feel I have by accident and its a lengthy process. But this recipe I feel I could manage. I'm going to look for some risoni at my grocer. You come up with the BEST recipes!!!

    Big Hugs,

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yummy....however what is risoni? I've never heard of it. Where would I find it? Is it similar to orzo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had risono either but I am going to give it a try. I am drooling that looks yummo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have I told you lately what a lovely blog you have here.

    So glad for all the recipes. I only wish we were in the same seasons of the year as it is 100 degrees here and I can't even imagine turning on my stove. Time for me to go search the archives for some summer salads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of risono! Your recipe looks delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne
    I adapted this for different ingredients - I had no mushrooms which was most odd- but used the methodology and it was delish. I can see me using this method for quick week night dinners. Thanks

    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh I haven't used risoni for ages - I forgot how much I liked it! It's really smooth tasting!
    Will have to give this a go! Cheers, Mez

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...