Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Listography - Top 5 things about the summer holidays

The resort pool at Noosa we stayed at last summer.
Kate from Kate Takes 5 thinks she's pretty good, starting Listography back with the top 5 things about the summer holidays when she's just got back from a long and lazy jaunt in Spain. Some people have all the luck. Here we are in Australia, fighting colds and flus, all rugged up and all we can do is but dream of summer. Thanks Kate! For my own good, I'll try and remember the good things about the summer holidays. Heaven knows it'll be here before we know it.

photo source
1.  No school for 8 (or so) weeks

I'm like you Kate. Not having to be anywhere at any particular time suits me just fine. One thing I do remember about my childhood is not being the best at getting up early in the morning and that's stuck with me my entire life. Unfortunately/fortunately my children have inherited this quality from me and it works really well when there's no school. We can all enjoy a sleep in. The only thing we have to worry about is which swimming pool or beach we're going to for the day.


2.  It's Christmas Time

The southern hemisphere has the added bonus of enjoying Christmas and all that goes with it during the summer holidays. Santa at every shopping centre, Christmas parties, Christmas carols, dodging evening summer storms so we can catch the Christmas lights in the neighbourhood and then the ultimate visit from the big red guy. A wonderful summer holiday tradition.


photo source
3.  Being able to just potter

Now that the kids are getting older, they're really good at coming up with games that go for hours, if not days, just like I did when I was young. This coming summer will be my son's first official big summer holiday from his first year of school and I know he is looking so forward to it. We've got a short 2 week break coming up in September and then he'll have to hang on until early December. Hopefully, I'll just be able to potter around the house and still enjoy my cup of tea in peace and maybe a good book. (Please?)


4.  Casual dining

Best thing about summer, sleeping in and going to the beach is the 'no set time' meal policy. Breakfast could be at 9am, lunch could be something quickly thrown together and had at the beach and dinner usually consists of some kind of grilled or cold meat and salad. None of these strict set meal times like when school's in. Having cold fruit, ice for cold drinks, snack foods etc on hand just to throw a quick picnic basket together is perfect for a lazy day at the beach. Alternatively, we love to get a couple dollar's worth of hot chips to munch on. There's always the ice cream on the way home too.


5.  Back to school sales

The post Christmas, back to school sales signal that school returns at the end of January for another year and you'll get your life back. The kids may live a little longer and not kill each other by about this time and you're busy covering books, marking pens and pencils, all in readiness for those little angels of mine to get back to school, and do it all again for another year.

Thanks Kate for a long awaited Listography. It's been a while. Hope you'll be thinking of me this coming Christmas and while you guys are rugging up for winter, I'll be sweltering, trying to catch the breez at the beach. Check out what everyone elses top things about summer holidays are at Kate Takes 5.

3 comments:

  1. Those are all wonderful things to look forward to! We do love summer break but by the end of the summer I really need the kids to go back to school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Anne I didn't realise I would be putting you through such pain! Gorgeous pictures as always and I'm sure that little daydream will help you fight off the latest cold \ flu - I didn't know you had been sick (too busy sunning myself in Spain...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't put two and two together that Christmas would be during the summer break.....what a great time to celebrate! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.