Thoughts of Melting Moments, Chocolate Crunch Slice and cupcakes go dancing around my head on a Sunday afternoon as I think about what to bake for the week and then reality strikes. No eggs, very little butter, no white sugar and all but a bit of cocoa left in the pantry. Quick look in the fridge and pantry reveals one lonely Granny Smith apple and a nearly full packet of sultanas (golden raisins) so a wholemeal Apple & Sultana Cake bar it is.
This recipe is based on my best cake recipe ever. It's such a good one to have as it uses no eggs or butter and you can pretty much throw anything into it and throw it into any kind of pan and you'll always produce a wonderful cake.
I loved the way the afternoon winter sunshine was streaming through the window when I took the photo.
Wholemeal Apple & Sultana Cake Bars
- 1/2 cup sultanas (golden raisins)
- 1 Granny Smith (grated)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons oil (I use canola)
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- half teaspoon salt
- Turn oven to 180 deg C (375 deg F).
- Grease a 20cm x 18 cm slice tin well or line with baking paper.
- Put the flour, sugar, grated apple, sultana, cinnamon and water in a bowl.
- Add vinegar, oil, baking soda and salt. Mix with beaters until smooth.
- Pour into the tin. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes then take out of tin.