Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Avocado, cherry tomato, quinoa & bean salad


If you follow me on Pinterest, you'll know I pin a lot of recipes. I don't make a lot of them but every now and again a recipe pops up and that's all I can think of. I'd been pinning a lot of quinoa recipes but this one just looked so delicious (probably more so than my photo) from thediva-dish.com. I've made a few quinoa salads and there really is not much taste to quinoa but with the addition of lemon zest in this recipe, it was really delicious.


There was a large amount so I had it for lunch and dinner. Its one of those 'throw anything in' kind of recipes that I love. What made it so delicious was the mix of spinach, coriander, lemon juice, dijon mustard and quinoa that coated each salad ingredient. I'll be making this one again for sure. Good on its own or as a side.

Avocado, Cherry Tomato, Quinoa & Bean Salad
  • 1/2 cup dry quinoa
  • 2 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 can cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
  • 1 avocado diced
  • 1 block frozen spinach (or fresh which has been steamed and rinsed under cool water
  • 1/4 onion, diced
  • 2 small cloves garlic, crushed
Dressing:
  • Juice and zest of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 bunch chopped coriander (or 2 tbs coriander in a tube)
  • 2 tsp dijon mustard
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • dash of salt and pepper
  1. Soak the quinoa in a pot in the vegetable stock for about 15 minutes. After that, turn on the heat to medium high and let the quinoa come to a boil. Once it boils, reduce heat to medium/low and let quinoa simmer. Stir every so often, and cook quinoa for about 20-25 minutes just until the liquid absorbs. You don’t want it completely dried out, so when there is just a TINY amount of liquid left in the pot, remove it from heat and put a lid on it. Set it aside, and make the rest of the salad.
  2. Combine avocado, cherry tomatoes, cannellini beans, onion, spinach and garlic.
  3. Make dressing. Add quinoa to salad and pour over dressing. Mix to combine.
  4. Allow to stand before serving to allow flavours to combine.
 

5 comments:

  1. I've never made quinoa but have been wanting to try it. I'm not sure that my family would eat it but I could make something like this delicious sounding salad for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomatoes are out of season here, but I may just go pick up some anyway to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I'm def trying this one. I've never tasted quinoa before, so this will be my virgin flight.
    thanks Anne

    x Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, Anne. I've got you scheduled to come over to my house on Monday to prepared dinner! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...