Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Awesome Awards & cake (with coconut oil)


Don't be fooled by those mesmerising eyes or that cute button nose. He can be pure evil sometimes. Well, not really. He just has a hard time handling his emotions for a 6 year old. I've been reading a lot about it and it can be quite common with 5 to 6 year old boys (and girls for that matter). They have a hard time recognising their emotions and feelings and act up like they're having a 2 year old tantrum. It can become very tiring, especially on my own.


I try everything. Catching him before it escalates, time out, rewards, deep breathing, a kind approach, distraction. You name it. One morning last week culminated in being dragged to school, this time in his clothes. (There was a time recently he was dragged in his pyjamas.) It is so, so draining. The next morning he went off to school fine and I decided to reward him (and his sister, for different reasons) with an 'awesome' award (and cake).

PDF Online


I decided to also whip up a quick batch of small cupcakes but didn't want to use the small amount of butter I had left so tried it with coconut oil instead. The cakes turned out beautifully with a delicate, light crumb and the faintest taste of coconut. I made the cakes in heart shaped moulds and topped with vanilla buttercream sprinkled with jelly crystals.



I haven't had too much trouble since. He is definitely getting better and able to calm down if he gets upset or can't get his own way. I don't want him to suppress his anger or not let me know he's angry. He's just got to keep it under control. I think both of my kids are pretty awesome most of the time. Sometimes I think I just need to remind them.


Now to work on his sister, the drama queen!

Plain Cupcakes (made with coconut oil)
  • 60g coconut oil (or butter or margarine)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup self raising flour
  • Vanilla
  • 1/4 cup milk
  1. Mix oil and sugar together.
  2. Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
  3. Add flour and milk and mix lightly until incorporated.
  4. Spoon mixture into cake moulds or cupcake papers.
  5. Bake in a 170 deg C oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.
  6. Top with your favourite icing and sprinkles.

10 comments:

  1. Kids can really test ones sanity! My son, Dimitri used to be a real little terror... and now he has one of the smallest hearts imaginable (He is 20 now). My daughter, Cheri is 19, but she has always been a happy-go-lucky child, even now - not a worry in the world, where-as Dimitri puts the world's worries on his shoulders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a lovely post Anne. Motherhood sure can be tough at times. Your feelings are heartfelt here.

    That cake looks amazing too.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Anne I feel your pain! Bubba boy (4) and Missy (8) are very good at expressing their emotions in 2yr old tantrums. I am working on rewarding the good and focusing on the positive in the hope of encouraging better behaviour, an awards ceremony sounds wonderful and the cakes a bonus!
    Stacey-Lee :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious reward and gorgeous certificate!... All the best with working through the tantrum days. My boys are 1 and 2, might need to use your cupcake recipe for future behaviour modification endeavours x

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love how versatile coconut oil is... I've only recently discovered it and feel like i have been living under a rock!!

    #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post! Parenting is NOT for sissies! Thank you for recipe, too. I love the way coconut oil smells! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found between 5-6 one of the hardest ages for my kids to be honest. They seemed to be suddenly very self involved and emotional. Then they get a little better until they get really self involved and emotional!
    Hope things are a bit better for you from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! I am always wondering how to discipline my kids. Sometimes rewards are the BEST way to get good behavior!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 6 is a difficult age, they start pushing the boundaries dont they. Our Granddaughter is 6 and seems to be calming a little now, although my Boys went through it when they were about 7. I use the 'kill with kindness' approach, it has always worked for me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kids are beautiful. I think rewarding good behavior is as important as disciplining bad behavior. I also LOVE using coconut oil. Glad it worked out well in your cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.