Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Four ingredient Apricot Chicken (from scratch)


I love it when people clean out their pantries and give me the things they don't want. It's not like I walk up the street with a shopping trolley yelling "throw out your unused pantry items". Mum (who used to) and my sister (who does now) has a clean out every now and again and I'll happily take what she doesn't want. One of those items was apricot jam. We're not big jam eaters opting to have it occasionally on pancakes and that's about it. I find it a challenge coming up with ways to use these unusual ingredients that I don't normally buy.


I'm also not a "fruit used in savoury cooking" kind of girl either. When I see pork stuffed with prunes or pineapple on a pizza, I cringe. I'm not the biggest fan of the packet mix "Apricot Chicken" that was so popular in the 1970's (mix the packet with apricot nectar) but using a couple of tablespoons of the apricot jam in this quick stir fry worked quite well. (I added a couple tablespoons of chilli sauce once I'd served the kid's meals just to spice things up.) This was easy peasy and a different way to serve up chicken and onions.

Four Ingredient Apricot Chicken
  1. Chicken - I used 1 breast. You could use pieces, legs, wings
  2. 1/2 cup apricot jam
  3. 1/2 cup chicken stock
  4. 1 onion, sliced

  • Brown onions in a non stick pan (or you could use a spray of oil).
  • Add chicken and cook until brown.
  • Add apricot jam and stir through until melted.
  • Pour over stock and simmer for approx 10 mins until liquid has slightly reduced.
Serve with rice and stir fried vegetables. (I stir fried a couple red and green capsicum strips to serve and add 2 tablespoons of Gourmet Garden mild chilli after serving the dish to the kids.)

11 comments:

  1. Anne...this looks delish and easy..the best combo ever! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love simple dishes that you can use condiments in the fridge to throw together. Pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I have never seen apricot chicken made with jam.. Interesting : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting concept using the Jam!! It sounds quite nice actually.. I wonder if my hubby would enjoy it...


    thanks for sharing

    #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great idea! And I just have to say that pineapple on pizza is delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds so good ... I love apricot with chicken.
    Audrey Z. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/
    Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be a fan of the 'slow cook' movement.... until I had children. Now I'm all about efficiency... this looks easy to make and yummy. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy - I just love apricot anything. Saw your recipe on Inside BruCrew. Would love for you to share on Thursday's Treasures http://fooddonelight.com/thursdays-treasures-2/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cooking with jam! This recipe sounds so so delicious!
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza! I hope to see you there again this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love reading what you have to say and love replying via email.