I do love a cooking challenge and when I saw Jutta from Hungry Little Girl was starting the New Year off with one, I decided to join up. By signing up, I am given a 'secret' blogger to
Anyway, my partner was Bobbi from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen. Bobbi has an amazing story. She was raised by a Mum who cooked ordinary meals and she didn't really learn to cook anything too interesting herself. After having a gastric bypass operation she decided to try and learn to create fresh, healthy meals that relied upon natural ingredients and nothing from a packet or jar (my kind of girl).
Bobbi recreates famous celebrity chef's meals and this Blackened Tilapia Sandwich with Cilantro Lime Mayonnaise originally by Paula Dean was going to be just perfect for lunch. I made a couple changes because I didn't have a few of the ingredients but it was just delicious.
I'm not really sure what type of fish tilapia is and if we can even get it here in Australia but I just used a frozen basa fillet I had. I didn't have onion or garlic powder either so substituted with fresh. I didn't have a dry spice to cook the fish in but rather a wet mix which I spread on the fish while cooking. I was going to use Greek yoghurt instead of mayonnaise in the coriander mayo but already had it mixed before I remembered. This is definitely something I'll cook again. It was really filling and delicious and a great meal for a warm day. I can't wait to try some of Bobbi's other recipes. It was great getting to know you Bobbi! What an inspiration you are.
Blackened Fish Burger with Coriander Mayo
- 1 white fish fillet
- 1 bread roll (I used focaccia)
- 2 tbs sweet paprika
- 1 tbs ground thyme
- 1 tsp finely diced onion
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- chilli to taste
- olive oil for frying
- salad greens
- mango salsa (diced fresh mango and store bought Mexican tomato salsa)
- 2 tbs mayonnaise
- 1 tbs finely chopped coriander
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Combine paprika, dried thyme, diced onion, crushed garlic, salt and chilli in a mortar and pestle (or blender) and grind to form a paste.
- Heat oil in pan and once hot, place fish fillet in pan and spread with spice paste. After 3 minutes, turn fish and repeat with remaining spice blend.
- Mix mayonnaise, coriander and lime.
- Toast bun and spread with coriander mayonnaise and add salad greens.
- Top with fish and mango salsa.
Serves 1. Multiply quantities depending on number of people you are serving.
Here's a quick tip. When dicing mango, cut 'cheeks' of mango and slice horizontally and vertically into mango cheek while skin is still intact. Turn skin 'inside out' and remove flesh straight into a bowl.
- I hope you go and check out Bobbi at Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen. I'm off to go and follow her now. I didn't want her to know I was stalking her! If you'd like to join up in the Surprise Recipe Swap, head on over to Hungry Little Girl and get on the list. I can't wait to find out who I will be allocated in February. Thanks so much Jutta for organising this.